Faculty and Staff
Soazig Le Bihan
Prof. of Philosophy, Director of the Prelaw Program, Co-Director of Graduate Studies
- LA 149
- (406) 243 6233
- (406) 243-4076
- Office Hours
Class-related issues: Walk-in Office Hours, Mondays, 1:30-2:30, LA 153.
Pre-Law Advising: On Zoom. Wednesdays, 1:30-3:30 and Fridays 2:30-6:00. Please schedule an appointment on Navigate: https://umt.campus.eab.com/pal/3mvNN-rH3xPre-Law advising appointments will take place in the Pre-Law Advising Zoom room:
Meeting ID: 950 7166 6751
My research has long focused on the philosophy of physics, especially the philosophy of quantum physics, as well as on modeling, especially in physics and ecology. Recently, I have become interested in issues regarding the relationship between science and values.
I regularly teach classes in the philosophy of science, the foundations of ecology, modern philosophy, and philosophy of law.
I am committed to develop as a public philosopher, which is a little bit of a big name to designate those of us who try to reach out to a larger audience. Check out my public outreach page if you are interested.
I am also the director of the Pre-Law Program at the University of Montana. I get to help and mentor some of the most wonderful human beings I have known doing so. Please go to the UM Pre-Law Program website for more information.
Finally, if you would like a little bit of background, feel free to check out my personal story.
- Ph.D. Philosophy: University of Nancy and Bielefeld University
- Ecole Normale Supérieure Alumna
- B.S. Fundamental Physics: University of Paris VI, Jussieu.
- DEA, Philosophy, Université Sorbonne -- Paris IV
- Maîtrise, Philosophy, Université Nanterre -- Paris X
- B.A. Philosophy, Université Sorbonne -- Paris I
PHL 110E Introduction to Engaged Ethics (online, service component)
PHL 262Y Modern Philosophy
PHL 317E Law and Morality
PHL 319E Law and Discrimination
PHL 448/548 Philosophy and Animals
PHL 508 Philosophy of Law
PHL510 Philosophy Colloquium
HONR 391 Pre-Law Seminar
Field of Study
- Philosophy of science
- Philosophy of physics
- Philosophy of ecology
- Philosophy of law
- (work in progress) Modal Understanding
- (work in progress) Understanding Robustness, the Moday Way.
- (under review) Understanding Theoretical Ecological Models
- (2019) Partial truth versus felicitous falsehoods. Synthese. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11229-019-02413-4
- (2017) Epistemically Detrimental Dissent: Contingent Enabling Factors vs Stable Different Makers. Philosophy of Science (with Iheanyi Amadi)
- (2017) Enlightening Falsehood: A modal view of scientific understanding. In Explaining Understanding: Perspectives From Epistemology and Philosophy of Science, ed. by Grimm, Stephen R., Christoph Baumberger, and Sabine Ammon, Routledge.
- (2014), How Understanding Matters – Or not. in Probing the Meaning of Quantum Mechanics: Physical, Philosophical, Mathematical, and Logical Perspectives, ed. by C. de Ronde, S. Aerts, D. Aerts, World Scientific. pp. 127-42
- (2013) Précis de Philosophie de la Physique, Vuibert.
- (2011) "Defending the Semantic View: What it Takes," European Journal for Philosophy of Science, 2(3) (2011): 249-274.
- (2009) "Fine's Ways to Fail to Secure Local Realism," Studies in the History and Philosophy of Modern Physics, 40(2) (2009): 142-150.
Honors / Awards
- 2022. Davidson Honors College Promoting Intellectual Engagement (PIE) Award.
- 2021. Davidson Honors College Promoting Intellectual Engagement (PIE) Award.
- 2021. Sustainability Award
- 2020. Davidson Honors College Promoting Intellectual Engagement (PIE) Award.
- 2019. Davidson Honors College Promoting Intellectual Engagement (PIE) Award.
- 2017. Outstanding Faculty Advising Award.
- 2016. Merit Increase. University of Montana.
- 2016. Invited Professor, LabeX TransferS, Equippe république des savoirs, Ecole normale supérieure, Paris.
- 2014. Merit Increase. University of Montana.
- 2013. International Activity Grant. University of Montana.
- 2012. Student Affairs Faculty Award. University of Montana.
- 2011. Visiting Fellow: Center for Philosophy of Science, University of Pittsburgh
- 2011. Faculty Professional Enhancement Grant. University of Montana.
- 2011. Merit Increase. University of Montana.
- 2006-2008. Sawyier Predoctoral Fellowship. Illinois Institute of Technology.
- 2005. DAAD Fellowship.
- 2005. Fellowship Université Franco-Allemande.
- 2004-2005. Graduate Fellowship. Bielefeld University.
- 2004. Huguette Delavault Fellowship. Association des Femmes Françaises Diplomées de l’Université.
- 2004. Conference Expenses Graduate Fellowship. 13th UK Meeting on the Foundations of Physics, York.
- 2003. Travel Grant. Comité National de Philosophie et d’Histoire des Sciences, LMPS, Congress, Oviedo.
- 2002-2005. Mobility Graduate Fellowship “co-tutelle de thèse”. European Union.
- 2001-2002. Jane Eliza Procter Visiting Fellowship. Princeton University.