Individual Story Creation
If you’ve chosen “Build individual stories” in the Stories Config Block, you’re ready to create and customize individual Story content.
The user is able to select which Story type they’d like to create. There are a number of options available from the dropdown menu.
- Cascade: Custom Story content is entered by the user within Cascade
- YouTube: Story displays content from assigned YouTube video URL, playlist ID, or channel name
- Tumblr: Story pulls content from assigned Tumblr blog URL
- Wordpress: Story pulls content from assigned Wordpress feed
- Twitter: Story pulls content from assigned Twitter handle
Building Cascade Stories allows the user to manually enter custom content into the WYSIWYG, offering familiar formatting options. This is the most commonly used Story Type.
Building Your Story
Display Name & Title: For Cascade Stories, there are two fields for a Title. The first option, the one directly below the Display Name, will be the Heading 1 of the Story when it is opened into an individual page (only when you choose "This Page" as the link). The Display Name will appear in the Navigation for that Story when it is opened into an individual page.
Title: A title that will display on the Story as it appears on the homepage. If a link is provided, the title will be a link in maroon.
Image (excludes “Text only” option): Use this field to upload an image or select an image that currently exists in Cascade.
Link Type: Select the type of link that corresponds with your Story;
- Internal: Story links to a page contained within your site
- External: Story links to a specified external source (you will be asked to input a URL)
- This page: Content from Story becomes an individual page contained within your site
Text: The specific text that will make up the Story, utilizing the familiar WYSIWYG formatting tools.
YouTube StorySource: Select one of three feed sources below
- Single video
- Video URL: Provide the URL to a specific video
- Text: Provide optional text in the WYSIWYG to display with the Story
- Playlist ID: Enter the playlist ID of the desired YouTube playlist
- Channel name: Provide a specific channel name
Blog URL: Insert URL for desired Tumblr blog
Blog URL: Insert URL for desired Wordpress blog
Handle: Insert handle for desired Twitter account
Assigns the amount of characters to display in Stories; Splits at word, not character. Selections made on individual stories will override the value specified in the Stories Config Block (unless specified by choosing “Inherit from Stories config” below).
- Inherit from Stories config: character value is inherited from Stories Config settings
- Small: 200 character count
- Medium: 400 character count
- Large: 600 character count
Enables the Story to become a Featured Story, inheriting assigned Featured Story Options from the Stories Config Block. For Featured Story format options, see our Stories Config Block documentation.
With the exception of the Cascade Story, all Story types are set to inherit formatting options from the Stories Config Block, unless otherwise specified. If another format is selected from the dropdown menu, it will take precedent over the settings defined in the Stories Config Block.
If building a Cascade Story, you must choose format options on an individual Story basis, as they will not be able to inherit their settings from the Stories Config Block.
- Large image above text
- Image to the left, text to the right
- Image only
- Text only
Users can now specify multiple categories to be applied to individual stories! Categories are defined in the Stories Config Block, and applied on an individual Story. Categories applied to a Story must be identical to categories defined in the Stories Config Block.
Stories contained in the Stories folder can be adjusted to achieve a specific order.
Click on the Stories folder. The contents of the folder will be on the right hand side of the page ordered alphabetically by their system name.
Click on the heading of the second column titled "Order." Stories with a higher number value will display before lower valued numbers, click on “Order” until it displays higher valued numbers in decreasing order.
To move a Story, hover your mouse over the item (your cursor will turn to a double-ended arrow) and then drag it to the appropriate place.
When you create a new Story, you will need to publish the entire Stories folder. If changes are applied to the Stories Config Block, the default page displaying the Stories must be published.