Faculty and Staff Insurance

Faculty/Staff Insurance Coverage Abroad Requirements

All faculty and staff traveling abroad on UM sponsored activities are required to have health insurance that meets the following minimum requirements:

  • Medical Expenses:  $250,000
  • Medical Evacuation:  $150,000
  • Repatriation:  $15,000

As part of your international travel registration, you will need to submit a Faculty/Staff Insurance Coverage Form and a copy of your insurance identification card(s) to the Office of International Programs (OIP) 30 days prior to departure.  You can also download this form from your international travel registration account.  

How to Meet Coverage Requirements

Because insurance policies vary on an individual level, there are many different ways that you may meet the above requirements.  You will need to contact your current insurance provider to verify if your coverage already meets these requirements.  Below are some common ways faculty and staff meet the coverage requirements.  

UM Health Insurance Policy or Private Policy

If you are covered by a UM health insurance policy, you are covered for medical expenses only and have annual maximums of $2 million per person.  Contact the Benefits Specialist in Human Resource Services at 243-4238, rita.garland@umontana.edu, or your health insurance provider directly to verify how your specific coverage applies abroad and learn how to submit claims while abroad.  They also vary and are subject to change.  

MEDEX Travel Assist

Medex Travel Assist, a benefit offered to all MUS employees as part of the mandatory basic life insurance, provides you with medical evaluation and repatriation insurance free of charge, as well as a number of other services. The coverage for Emergency Transportation Services including medical evacuation and repatriation is not capped at a specific dollar amount. Please visit http://www.standard.com/mybenefits/mus/medex.html and click on the “MEDEX Travel Assist Brochure" for more information. Family members, including your spouse or domestic partner and children through age 25, regardless of student or marital status, are also covered. At the bottom of the brochure, you will find the MEDEX Travel Assist card. Please print and carry the card when you travel. If you will be out of the country for longer than 90 days, complete the form on their website to ensure coverage. A direct link to this form can also be found here.

HTH Worldwide Insurance Services Comprehensive or Supplemental Insurance Plans

UM faculty and staff traveling abroad on UM sponsored activities are eligible to enroll in an HTH Worldwide Comprehensive or Supplemental insurance plan through OIP. The Comprehensive policy costs $55.55/month or $15.45/week and includes all of the minimum required coverage.  The Supplemental policy costs $30.00/month or $7.89/week and includes the required coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation.  Travel to Afghanistan, Algeria, Iraq, Mali, Sudan, Somalia, Syria or Yemen require HTH Insurance’s approval prior to travel.  To enroll, please submit your Faculty/Staff Insurance Coverage Form to OIP with coverage dates and payment for the total amount required for your coverage period.