ORSP Training and Professional Development
- All compliance-related training (IACUC, IRB, COI, RCR, etc.)
- DVDs available for check-out
- Mandatory PI Training
- Tips for Departmental Staff
- NCURA YouTubes - Short, best practices videos - searchable by topic - prepared by research administrators across the globe
- Open Forums
- Research Administration Program (RAP)
- Tailored Discussions
- ORSP Training Schedule
- IT Short Courses - Banner Grants Query
Accepting recommendations made by Legislative Auditors, the Montana Board of Regents instructed the Montana University System (MUS) presidents to implement mandatory training for MUS employees seeking sponsored funding: pre- and post-award grant management, intellectual property, and regulatory compliance such as conflict of interest and misconduct in science. See Montana BOR Policy 401.C.
As a result, any UM faculty or staff who anticipate submitting applications for a grant, contract, or cooperative agreement as a PI or Co-PI must complete PI Training prior to submittal. Such training remains valid for two years following 1) a PI's last proposal submission, or 2) the end of award. Training must be retaken if this time period is exceeded. Departmental Research Administrators (DRAs) and others engaged in proposal submission or project management on behalf of PIs are welcome to complete the training.
To complete PI Training: 1) Email Judy Fredenberg to be enrolled in the Moodle course; 2) Once enrolled, log in to UM Online and complete the modules/quizzes; 3) Attend a mandatory 50-minute group Q&A session that will include review and routing requirements.
Once the Moodle training is complete, individuals will be granted conditional PI status until they attend the group session. Conditional status cannot exceed 12 months.
To facilitate award management and ongoing training, it is strongly advised that all involved in proposal submission and approval sign up for one or more of the ORSP listservs to receive pertinent updates.
Open Forums provide a round-table opportunity for individuals from across campus to come together to discuss challenges and share information. These may be audience-specific, such as those geared to Departmental Research Administrators (DRAs). If topic-specific, it will be noted on the schedule below. No registration or sign-up is needed (first-come, first-served). (Schedule)
Such discussions can be scheduled over a noon hour with a small group, during a regularly-scheduled departmental meeting, or at a round-table held specifically for this conversation. These visits will last no longer than 60 minutes and will include participants from sponsored programs including both members of your departmentally-assigned team, and others as necessary for topical expertise. Q&A is welcome and included, discussion topics must be identified prior to the visit , even if only with a broad brush. Please call x6670 or email Judy Fredenberg to coordinate a time and topics for this discussion.
DVDs cover a variety of topics and many are produced by the National Council of University Research Administrators (NCURA) with leading research administrator presentors from across the nation.
DVD Resources may be checked out. Please contact ORSP Judy Fredenberg for further information.
- Fiscal Aspects of Human Subjects Compliance, 2011
- International Collaborations: Negotiations and Compliance, 2011
- Managing Interactions and Potential Conflicts with University Spin-Offs and Other Small Businesses, 2011
- ABC's of the Federal Cost Principles, 2011
- Negotiating Federal Contracts and Pass-Through Awards, aired September 21, 2010
- Non Financial Research Compliance, aired June 15, 2010
- Critical Issues for the Department Administrator, aired March 23, 2010
- Managing Financial Requirements of Awards, aired January 26, 2010
- Subrecipient Monitoring: Assessing Risk, aired September 15, 2009
- F&A Rates for the Non-Accountant, aired June 9, 2009
- Cost Sharing: Why No Good Deed Goes Unpunished, aired March 10, 2009
- Audits and the Audit Process, aired January 13, 2009
- Good Customer Service for Research Administrators, 2008
- Complex Agreements, 2008
- Effective Proposal Development, 2008
- Managing Cost Issues, 2008
Other Training DVDs:
- Data Management Plans for Successful NIH and NSF Grants, Principal Investigators Association, presented by Dr. Michael Lesiecki, 6/29/2011
- NSF Criteria: Successfully Communicating Broader impacts, Principal Investigators Association, presented by Martin Butler, 3/24/2011
- The Lab: Avoiding Research Misconduct, The Office of Research Integrity, 2011
- Mastering Deemed Exports: An Exporter's Compliance Tool, The Exprot Practitionery & Spark Media: "What exporters, universities, and research laboratores must know to avoid costly violations of EAR and ITAR Deemed Export regulations," 2006
|Weds, Oct. 19||9:00-9:50 a.m.||Todd 204||PI Training Q&A - PI Training requirement following completion of Moodle modules > Respond to this Doodle Poll if planning to attend|
|Weds., Oct. 26||10:00-10:50 a.m.||Todd 203||DRA Open Forum - Campus Departmental Research Administrators (DRAs) > Respond to this Doodle Poll if planning to attend|
|Thurs., Nov. 17||2:00-3:30 p.m.||Todd 203||VPR Open Forum - Campus Research Community, with VPRCS Scott Whittenburg > Respond to this Doodle Poll if planning to attend|
|Tues., Nov. 29||9:00-9:50 a.m.||Todd 204||PI Training Q&A - PI Training requirement following completion of Moodle modules > Respond to this Doodle Poll if planning to attend|
|Thurs., Feb 16||9:00-9:50 a.m.||Todd 210||PI Training Q&A - PI Training requirement following completion of Moodle modules > Respond to this Doodle Poll if planning to attend|
|Mon., Feb 27||9:00-9:50 a.m.||Todd 204||
DRA Open Forum - Campus Departmental Research Administrators (DRAs) > Respond to this Doodle Poll if planning to attend
|Fri., Mar 31||11:00-11:50||Todd 204||VPR Open Forum - Campus Research Community, with VPRCS Scott Whittenburg > Respond to this Doodle Poll if planning to attend|
|Weds., Apr 5||10:00-10:50 a.m.||Todd 210|
|Weds, March 16||10:10 - 11:30 a.m.||Todd 203||Open Forum - Campus Research Community, with VPRCS Scott Whittenburg > Respond to this Doodle Poll if planning to attend|
|Thurs, March 24||9:10 - 10 a.m.||Todd 203|
|Mon, March 28||9:10 - 10 a.m.||Todd 204||Open Forum - Campus Departmental Research Administrators (DRAs) > Respond to this Doodle Poll if planning to attend|
|Tues, May 3||10:10 - 11 a.m.||