End of Fall Semester Information
Closing for Winter Break
- The Residence Halls close for the Fall Semester at Noon on Thursday, December 21, 2017.
- All residents will receive a "Spring Semester Housing Plans" email sent to their UMConnect Student Email the week of November 7, 2017. The email will explain how to submit their housing plans using an online form. This form must be completed indicating whether the resident will be staying on campus or is planning to move off campus for Spring Semester, and it must be submitted by the end of the day on Friday, December 8, 2017. Not submitting the form will result in the assumption that the resident will be staying for Spring Semester, and the resident will be responsible for all semester charges. Turning in the form or changing a submitted form after the deadline with a request to move off campus will result in a $40.00 late vacate notice fee.
If a resident’s roommate is not planning to return for Spring Semester and completes an official checkout, the remaining resident must keep the other side of the room completely clear and clean. Residence Life maintenance staff will be entering the room to clean and inspect for damages during the break. If the remaining resident has taken up both sides of the room with their belongings Residence Life staff reserves the right to move all items back to one side and the resident may be charged for the extra cleaning time.
Staying On Campus for Spring Semester
- Residents staying on campus for Spring Semester may leave their belongings in their assigned room over the winter break. Once the resident turns their room key/card and mailbox key in for the break, access to the room will not be available until they check back in for Spring Semester. Therefore, it is important to make sure all items needed for the break are taken at the time of checkout. Access to the room after checkout may be available for emergency situations. There is a $10.00 fee for this access however, and Residence Life staff will escort the resident to and from the room to grab items needed.
- All residents must turn in their room key/card and mailbox key by Noon on Thursday, December 21, 2017, using the key envelope provided at end of semester floor meetings. If room access is on a Griz Card, the resident should keep their Griz Card as access will automatically stop at Noon on Thursday, December 21, 2017. If Griz Cards are returned, the card will be sent to the Griz Card Center and the resident will need to pick it up at their office in the University Center upon returning to campus.
- The Residence Halls open at 9:00 am on Saturday, January 20, 2018, for Spring Semester. Early arrival is available starting at 9:00 am on Tuesday, January 16, 2018, for an additional $22.00 per day before 9:00 am on January 20, 2018.
Moving Off Campus for Spring Semester
- All residents planning to move off campus at the end of Fall Semester must be approved by the Residence Life Office. The "Spring Semester Housing Plans" form must be completed and turned in by Friday, December 8, 2017, indicating the reason for moving off campus. If the resident has less than 30 earned college credits, a Residence Halls Contract Release Request form must also be completed. Residence Life will review the move off request and inform the resident by email of the decision.
- If approved to move off campus, a proper checkout must be completed by Noon on Thursday, December 21, 2017. If not checked out by this time, the resident will be required to live on campus for Spring Semester and will be responsible for Spring Semester housing charges. Please review the checkout guide for more information on completing a proper checkout.
Winter Break & Wintersession Housing
- Housing is available between Noon on Thursday, December 21, 2017, and 9:00 am on Tuesday, January 16, 2018, for $22.00 per day.
- Arrangements must be made in person with the Residence Life Office in 101 Turner Hall by 5:00 pm Friday, December 8, 2017. Arrangements made after this date will include a $40.00 processing fee in addition to the $22.00 per day.