Academic Forgiveness Policy

Effective Autumn Semester 2011

  • A University of Montana – Missoula undergraduate, seeking their first undergraduate degree, who returns to the university after a minimum absence of three years and completes 30 credits of academic study with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 is eligible for Academic Forgiveness.
  • Academic Forgiveness allows a student who has met the requirements in statement #1 to select a prior semester or semesters he/she wishes to have excluded from calculation in the cumulative GPA.  The semester(s) chosen must have occurred prior to his/her return to the university.
  • Receiving Academic Forgiveness for a semester or semesters results in all credits and grades earned in the semester to be excluded from the student’s GPA calculation. A student will not be allowed to select specific grades and credits to retain while excluding others earned within the same semester.  The excluded courses and grades will remain on the transcript; however, they may not be used to fulfill any university requirements.
  • Only The University of Montana – Missoula grades and credits will be excluded.
  • A student will be granted Academic Forgiveness only one time.
  • All excluded courses are still counted as attempted courses in determining if a student is meeting the Pace standard of the financial aid satisfactory academic progress (SAP) policy. If the terms being forgiven include courses a student previously passed the result could be that the student would now be out of compliance with the SAP policy and would have to do a financial aid appeal to have aid eligibility reinstated
  • Students who receive Academic Forgiveness will be bound by the University Catalog in effect at the time of their return to The University or any subsequent catalog in accordance with University policy.
  • Students wishing to apply for Academic Forgiveness will contact the Registrar’s Office for the appropriate form. The Registrar’s Office will be responsible for verifying eligibility and notifying the student of approval.
  • Other options exist for students who have not left the university such as course repeat, withdrawals, and other mechanisms listed under academic policies in the catalog. 

Students wishing to apply for Academic Forgiveness may obtain the form at the Registrar's Office (Aber Hall 623) or at Academic Forgiveness Form.