American Indian Student Services
Advocacy and Referrals
AISS partners with various academic departments and student support services at The University of Montana and in the Missoula community. We also assist students with connecting to resources off-campus.
Mentoring and Tutoring
AISS peer mentors provide a welcoming and supportive environment to new students and an extended network of additional resources and information. AISS also partners with campus programs to provide free tutoring opportunities in various subjects.
Emergency Loan Program
AISS provides short-term loans to students for emergency purposes (books, food, etc.) while classes are in session. Students can apply for AISS short term loans through Cyberbear. The program is based on availability. Loan amounts and funding varies.
American Indian Student Services Temporary Loan Procedure:
Terms and Conditions of Short-Term Loans
- Loans do not exceed $500.
- Received money must be paid back by the end of the semester.
- Students must not have any holds on their account and must be finalized.
- Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.0
- Students must schedule and attend a one-on-one financial counseling session with the UM Financial Education Program prior to funds being released.
AISS supports the University’s recruitment efforts of Native American students by relationship building with prospective American Indian students and their families, high school counselors, tribal college advisors, and other professionals in education.
To be added or removed from the AISS listserv, please email Leia at Leia.Loonsfoot@umontana.edu.