Accessible Navigation. Go to: Navigation Main Content Footer

Diversity Advisory Council

The University of Montana

DAC Meeting - December 13, 2012

Agenda

  1. Announcements
  2. Subcommittee Updates - Nancy Borgmann award (Blakely), Student awards (Juana), Allocations (Juana)
  3. Moodle DAC (Blakely)
  4. Action item 2.6 (Maria Cole)
  5. DAC Basketball game – December 15@7:00 p.m. (Lucy)
  6. 2012 Day of Dialogue and Preliminary planning for 2013 DoD (Melissa)
  7. Good and Welfare; Adjourn

Minutes

Present: Natalie Hiller-Claridge, Heather Bruce, Jamar Galbreath, Kelsi Camp, Maria Cole, Sean Jeffrey, Mika Watanabe, Dora LaCasse, Blakely Brown, Barb Seekins, Melissa Steinike, Carey Davis, Ray Carlisle, Dustin Satterfield, Jinann Bitar, Juana Alcala, Joe Hickman, Jaquie Hofman

Introductions

The November meetings minutes were approved.

Announcements: Joe announced that Twila Old Coyote will be the Assistant Director of TRiO as of Jan 7. (check with Joe)

Nancy Borgmann award subcommittee will be meeting after the DAC meeting today. Blakely has updated the contact information and submission deadlines for next year.

Juana explained that the Student Diversity Award subcommittee met via email. The subcommittee decided who would fill necessary roles. They are currently waiting to hear back on the President’s availability to decide on a date for the ceremony. There is a tradition to have the guest speaker be the previous winner of the campus international or diversity award winner. Juana explained that the nomination process for students is entirely online and everyone is encouraged to submit nominations. There will be a UM website banner story and press release through UM Relations.

Blakely noted that the Diversity Advisory Council roster will be posted shortly on the President's website.

Blakely explained that at the last meeting we started working on the DAC Moodle page. Everyone is encouraged to add comments to the working document. The spreadsheet still needs to be revised to show what work has been done so far. This will be done in the near future with Kelsi's help.

Maria came to the DAC meeting to discuss Action item 2.6 from the Diversity Action Plan. Maria has done some work to create exit surveys for contract professional, faculty, and staff to capture valuable data. In July she requested the A&F Tech Team to create a database to store this data. This will be a fill able form that can be done in person, over the phone or online. Currently they process is being tested and it is expected to go live in 6 weeks. She also brought screen shots to pass around the table.

Maria has also looked at UM's recent sourcing in comparison to a year ago. There were more posting and more people that applied in 2012. There are a large number of people who are not using print material for job searching. The information she gathered will allow HRS to use more effective ways to use recruitment dollars.

Joe asked if this exit survey will be part of the termination checklist and Maria thought that was a good idea and will look into this. Maria explained that there is currently a staff exit interview, but the response rate and reliability of the data and promise of confidentiality was quite poor. The new system will improve all of these aspects. Jamar asked if this would be the official UM exit interview and Maria confirmed that it would be the official exit interview process in the future.

Questions were raised as to how data is captured on those students that leave before graduating. Several members were able to confirm that the Registrar captures data from students leaving mid-semester, but those that do not return for the next semester is unknown. Juana added that Enrollment Services annually surveys students who apply, but then decide to not attend UM. The number one reason for not attending is usually related to finances.

Barb asked if there is a pattern in the exit interviews that points to a specific problem within a department, how the confidentiality plays into addressing those issues. Maria explained that she will wait and gather enough data to insure confidentiality, but still be able to bring issues to light. The sector leaders will then be informed of trends that emerge in the exit interview process.

Maria looks forward to discovering why faculty, staff, and contracted professionals are leaving, if more are leaving from under-represented populations, and if so why. Maria has recently been certified as a diversity coordinator through the Institute for Diversity Certification and is the only one in the state.

Juana provided the DAC with the DAC mini-grant proposal process that the Allocation subcommittee worked on since the last meeting. The mini-grant will be launched in the spring without a deadline attached to it with the hope that more proposals would be submitted. The applications materials have been reviewed and updated and the subcommittee will meet on a monthly basis when necessary to review the applications and make funding decisions. Juana explained that there are many times when departments or individuals from campus can apply for funding from the DAC. The allocations subcommittee discussed this further and suggests that the mini-grant and special allocation process be combined into one process. Then, to decide on how the proposals would be prioritized, a subcommittee would monthly review the applications for funding, the process would be entirely online, and then the DAC can be informed of who has received funding. Also part of the process of receiving funding would include a report stating how the funds were used. Jacquie noted that the funds need to be expended by May 1. She voiced concerns over the idea of first come – first serve, because those that know the system will be ready to hand with a proposal on July 1 and that potentially then the money is gone within a couple months and no one else can receive funds for the rest of the year. Juana said she still prefers the rolling deadline, but believes that a FY deadline needs to be set and more discussion surrounding perhaps stretching out the funding stream, maybe half in spring and half in the fall could take care of this concern.

Ray explained that historically the DAC received $10,000 to bring a variety of diversity-related events to campus. Ray thinks that more personal outreach by DAC members to student groups is the key to getting more people interested in the funding that is available. He also thinks that having a rolling deadline may encourage more people to submit applications for funding. Jacquie explained that the process for special allocations for the remainder of FY13 would remain the same. Juana suggested adding more details to bring more transparency to the process.  Juana suggested the subcommittee review the special allocations form and instructions to address these concerns for the January meeting.

Blakely asked for input from DAC member attending the meeting as to whether or not they approved the rolling deadline submission. Juana explained that the mini-grant committee had already approved this rolling deadline. Blakely questioned, and entertained DAC discussion, about whether or not a DAC subcommittee could decide on changes to the mini-grant process without full discussion of the changes (and approval) by the full DAC. Further discussion on DAC sub-committee process was tabled until the January meeting.

Melissa made the announcement that those interested on being part of the DoD 2013 planning committee sign up by the end of the week. We did not have time to discuss the 2012 DoD summary report. We agreed to have this item on the January meeting agenda.