International Student Admission

International students should submit application materials at least six months before the term they wish to enter. Please check the "Program section" of this web site for the exact deadline date for applying to a particular program. Typically fall term begins the fourth week of August, spring term the fourth week of January, and summer term the third week of May. We encourage applicants to apply early in order to obtain a student visa and arrange for housing and travel to the United States.

Who is eligible

To be granted full admission, applicants must hold the equivalent of a U.S. baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution. Usually transcripts will be evaluated by the Graduate School, however, in unusual circumstances, the University may require applicants to submit their credentials to an outside agency before an admission decision will be made.

English requirements

Applicants whose native language is not English must submit TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) scores to be admitted as a graduate nondegree or graduate degree seeking student. Applicants scoring higher than 550 on the TOEFL PBT (the TOEFL PBT is no longer administered as of October 2017), the replacement TOEFL-Paper Delivered Test will be accepted in place of the PBT, 80 on the TOEFL IBT or 6.5 on the IELTS may be unconditionally admitted to a university graduate program, provided they meet that program's application standards. The Graduate School will not accept the TOEFL ITP test for admission. If applicants have lower scores, they can apply for conditional admission, provided they are academically eligible, and their score is above 525 on the TOEFL PBT, 70 on the TOEFL IBT or 6.0 IELTS.  Graduate students conditionally admitted to the university must be enroll in the English Language Institute (ELI), and then score sufficiently high on an English proficiency exam to gain unconditional admission to the university.  Applicants should consult with individual programs to see if there are higher standards for English proficiency in their chosen program.

Applicants who are graduates of English-speaking universities are not required to take the TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB, however, applicants must submit scores for the graduate administration test required by the program (i.e. GRE/GMAT). In some programs the TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB scores may substitute for GRE scores (check with the department).

Visa requirements

The 2018-2019 estimated costs of attendance at The University of Montana for an academic term of 9 months are:

Tuition and Fees $27,443
Living Expenses(*) $12,744
Total $40,187
Before issuing a visa form, the Graduate School must receive a certified statement from a bank or sponsoring agency indicating that at least $40,187 (U.S. currency) is available to meet the first-year cost of study. Applicants may be asked to put this sum on deposit with The University of Montana. If applicants plan to bring their family to the United States, add $3,000 to the financial statement for a spouse and $1,500 for each child (under the age of 21). All estimates of cost are subject to change by the Montana Board of Regents without prior notice.

If you are currently attending a college or university in the United States and have an F1 visa, you must submit a Transfer Clearance Form to your international student office. It must be completed by them and returned directly to The University of Montana Graduate School. Please do not print this form unless you have already completed one of our online applications. (Transfer Clearance Form .pdf)

Most programs do not offer teaching assistantships to first-year students from non-English speaking countries. Occasionally particular programs grant research assistantships to international students. However, applicants should not apply for admission unless they and/or their sponsors are able to provide the cost of at least the first year of study.

Questions regarding international admissions requirements can be directed to Brittany Groesbeck at

UM's International Students and Scholars office has more information about student visas.

International Students and Scholars
The University of Montana
32 Campus Drive #2160
Missoula, MT 59812-2160

Telephone: (406) 243-5509
Fax: (406) 243-6115