About the President
President Royce C. Engstrom
University of Montana’s 17th President, Dr. Royce C. Engstrom, assumed his duties on October 15, 2010, after serving as Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs for three years. He came to Missoula in 2007 from the University of South Dakota, where he served as Professor and Chair of Chemistry, Vice President for Research and Dean of the Graduate School, and Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
President Engstrom is interested in science policy, higher education public policy, program development, and in building relationships between the various stakeholders in higher education. During his tenure as UM president, he has served on the Department of Homeland Security Academic Advisory Council, the Association of American Colleges & Universities Board of Directors, and the Northwest Commission of Colleges and Universities Board of Commissioners.
At the helm of UM, President Engstrom has made student success a top priority. He has overseen the establishment and development of the Global Leadership Initiative, a four-year fellowship that provides students unique experiences through a community. Several buildings under construction - including the new Missoula College building, the Gilkey Center for Leadership, Entrepreneurship and Executive Education, and the Washington-Grizzly Champions Center- will house more opportunities for students to thrive. The Champions Center will help cultivate UM's newest student-athletes, the members of the Griz softball team, which played its inaugural season in 2015.
Through out his career, President Engstrom has been an enthusiastic participant in undergraduate research, first as a student, then as a mentor, and finally as an administrator working to develop undergraduate research programs. He is a Past-President of the Council on Undergraduate Research and has been active in the Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research, a federal program designed to help states build their research infrastructure and competitiveness. He served as Chair of the National EPSCoR Coalition and the National EPSCoR Foundation.
Born in Michigan, President Engstrom grew up in Nebraska and received his Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry from the University of Nebraska at Omaha and his Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. His wife, Mary, is also an educator and has worked at both the K-12 level and the university level. They have two grown children, Tyler and Carey, and two grandchildren, Austin and Grant. In his spare time, President Engstrom enjoys sailing on Flathead Lake, building traditional wooden boats and canoeing.
A Presidency in Photos
Check out the slideshow of 23 items below:
- Slide Title: President Engstrom and Mrs. Engstrom at the 2011 Inauguration.
- Slide Title: Mayor Engen, Zach Brown and President Engstrom sign the Quality of Life Initiative.
- Slide Title: Mayor Engen, Jean Curtiss, President Engstrom and Zach Brown at the State of the Community.
- Slide Title: President and Mrs. Engstrom at the 2012 Homecoming Parade.
- Slide Title: Griz-Cat Football Game 2012
- Slide Title: Family Weekend Brunch 2012
- Slide Title: 2012 President's Club Gala
- Slide Title: 2012 President's Club Dinner
- Slide Title: Greening UM Awards 2012 - Kelly Chadwick, Ken Price, Patrick Rhea, Steve Schawzw, President Engstrom
- Slide Title: 2012 State of the Community
- Slide Title: President and Mrs. Engstrom at the 2011 Homecoming Parade.
- Slide Title: President Engstrom talks to a community members at the 2011 Grateful Nation statue dedication.
- Slide Title: The dedication of the Grateful Nation statue on campus, November 4, 2011.
- Slide Title: 2011 Tribal College Presidents Meeting.
- Slide Title: 2011 Commencement
- Slide Title: Mayor John Engen and President Engstrom at the 2011 Inauguration Event.
- Slide Title: President Engstrom talks with members of the cheer squad on Inauguration Day 2011.
- Slide Title: President and Mrs. Engstrom on Inauguration Day, May 2, 2011.
- Slide Title: President Engstrom on the Oval.
- Slide Title: October 26, 2009
- Slide Title: President and Mrs. Engstrom with students by the Griz statue.
- Slide Title: President Engstrom speaks at Convocation on August 27, 2013.
- Slide Title: President Engstrom greets students at Convocation on August 27, 2013.