Register Your Travel Before You Go

UM International Travel Registry

The University of Montana provides a secure system for faculty, staff, and students to record travel plans and contact information. The registry is a convenient, one-stop service that supports emergency communication access and helps ensure that travelers have adequate medical, emergency evacuation,

Who is required to register travel?

  • All UM faculty, staff, and students traveling abroad for university-related purposes. (See UM International Travel Policy).
  • Native faculty & staff who have reserves on both sides of the border (individuals covered under Jay’s Treaty) shall be exempt from the Travel Registry requirement when traveling to Canada.

Please Note: UM study abroad applicants do NOT need to register their travel in the Travel Registry because the online application automatically submits the program itinerary into the database.

How does it work?

  • Travel should be registered 30 days prior to departure. If last-minute travel is required due to unforeseeable and uncontrollable circumstances (e.g. research projects that must be attended to on short notice) where the need to travel arises unexpectedly and quickly and it is not possible to register travel 30 days in advance, the traveler should register as soon as possible in order to allow time for enrollment in the required insurance policy.  Any travel to High Risk Countries Subject to Travel Advisories or Health Notices, must be registered at least 30 days in advance to allow time for review by the International Travel Review Committee.
  • Travelers can update their registration by logging in to their existing registration from the Terra Dotta login link above.
  • If international travel will be paid via a sponsored project (grant, contract, cooperative agreement, etc.), airline purchases must comply with the  Fly America Act (49 U.S.C. 40118) and use certified US air carriers via the Open Skies Agreements, or prepare and maintain departmental documentation explaining why the regulation was not followed. See more information regarding travel on sponsored projects.

What are the benefits of the Travel Registry?

  • Emergency Communication: Your travel registration enables UM to reach you in the event of an emergency. The travel registry is the University’s official means for sharing urgent health, safety, and security-related information.

What do I need to know before I start my travel registration? 

Travelers should upload the biographical page of their passport and a copy of their insurance card as part of travel registration. Please provide scans of each item and NOT photos taken from a cell phone. There are great scanning apps for mobile phones if you do not have access to a scanning machine, and these are clearer than photographs.

Note: Individuals enrolled in the HTH Worldwide Insurance Services policy through UM do not need to upload their insurance card.

Login Instructions:

  • Faculty/staff at UM-Missoula, Helena College, Montana Tech, and Western use their NetID and password to log inSelect "I have a username and password"and submit.
  • Students at UM-Missoula use their NetID and password to log in.
  • Students at Helena College, Montana Tech, and Western will need to create login credentials and will select "I do not have login credentials"and submit. An e-mail will be sent with temporary credentials. They will need to login within 7 days of receiving their temporary credentials by clicking NON-UM LOGIN/REGISTER.

NOTE: If you have registered your travel before, your previous address abroad will appear, so simply just edit it.

Additional questions:

Please contact

Register Your Travel

Select the buttons below to access the appropriate UM International Travel Registry (student, faculty/staff, proxy for administrators, or side trip). There, you can create a new registry or edit an existing registry upon logging into Terra Dotta here. If you have any questions or concerns about the registry you should select, please contact