OSP Training and Professional Development
- All compliance-related training (IACUC, IRB, COI, RCR, etc.)
- DVDs available for check-out
- Mandatory PI/Co-PI Orientation/Training
- Tips for Departmental Staff
- NCURA YouTubes - Short, best practices videos - searchable by topic - prepared by research administrators across the globe
- Open Forums
- Research Administration Program (RAP)
- Tailored Discussions
- OSP Training Schedule
- IT Short Courses - Banner Grants Query
Accepting recommendations made by Legislative Auditors, the Montana Board of Regents instructed the Montana University System (MUS) presidents to implement mandatory training for MUS employees seeking sponsored funding: pre- and post-award grant management, intellectual property, and regulatory compliance such as conflict of interest and misconduct in science. See Montana BOR Policy 401.C.
As a result, any UM faculty or staff who are eligible to be a PI and anticipate submitting applications for a grant, contract, or cooperative agreement as a PI or Co-PI must complete PI Orientation prior to submittal. Such training remains valid for two years following 1) a PI's last proposal submission, or 2) the end of award. Training must be retaken if this time period is exceeded. Departmental Research Administrators (DRAs) and others engaged in proposal submission or project management on behalf of PIs are welcome to complete the training.
To complete PI Orientation, attend a mandatory 90-minute training.
To facilitate award management and ongoing training, we strongly advise all involved in proposal submission and approval sign up for one or more of the ORSP listservs to receive pertinent updates.
Open Forums provide a round-table opportunity for individuals from across campus to come together to discuss challenges and share information. These may be audience-specific, such as those geared to Departmental Research Administrators (DRAs) / College Business Officers (CBOs). If topic-specific, it will be noted on the schedule below. No registration or sign-up is needed (first-come, first-served). Please note that you may access more information on the VPR Open Forums on the ORCS web site. (Schedule)
Such discussions can be scheduled over a noon hour with a small group, during a regularly-scheduled departmental meeting, or at a round-table held specifically for this conversation. These visits will last no longer than 60 minutes and will include participants from sponsored programs including both members of your departmentally-assigned team, and others as necessary for topical expertise. Q&A is welcome and included, discussion topics must be identified prior to the visit , even if only with a broad brush. Please call x6670 or email the ORSP director to coordinate a time and topics for this discussion.
DVDs cover a variety of topics and many are produced by the National Council of University Research Administrators (NCURA) with leading research administrator presenters from across the nation.
- Fiscal Aspects of Human Subjects Compliance, 2011
- International Collaborations: Negotiations and Compliance, 2011
- Managing Interactions and Potential Conflicts with University Spin-Offs and Other Small Businesses, 2011
- ABC's of the Federal Cost Principles, 2011
- Negotiating Federal Contracts and Pass-Through Awards, aired September 21, 2010
- Non Financial Research Compliance, aired June 15, 2010
- Critical Issues for the Department Administrator, aired March 23, 2010
- Managing Financial Requirements of Awards, aired January 26, 2010
- Subrecipient Monitoring: Assessing Risk, aired September 15, 2009
- F&A Rates for the Non-Accountant, aired June 9, 2009
- Cost Sharing: Why No Good Deed Goes Unpunished, aired March 10, 2009
- Audits and the Audit Process, aired January 13, 2009
- Good Customer Service for Research Administrators, 2008
- Complex Agreements, 2008
- Effective Proposal Development, 2008
- Managing Cost Issues, 2008
Other Training DVDs:
- Data Management Plans for Successful NIH and NSF Grants, Principal Investigators Association, presented by Dr. Michael Lesiecki, 6/29/2011
- NSF Criteria: Successfully Communicating Broader impacts, Principal Investigators Association, presented by Martin Butler, 3/24/2011
- The Lab: Avoiding Research Misconduct, The Office of Research Integrity, 2011
- Mastering Deemed Exports: An Exporter's Compliance Tool, The Export Practitionery & Spark Media: "What exporters, universities, and research laboratories must know to avoid costly violations of EAR and ITAR Deemed Export regulations," 2006
|Sep 27, 2021||11:00 am - 12:30 pm||Zoom||
PI/Co-PI Orientation/Training - Note that you only need to attend one Q&A session to complete PI Training. Join the Zoom meeting visiting https://umontana.zoom.us/j/95817995958 at the time of the event.
|Oct 28, 2021||3:00 - 4:00 pm||Zoom||
PI/Co-PI Orientation/Training - Note that you only need to attend one Q&A session to complete PI Training. Join the Zoom meeting by visiting https://umontana.zoom.us/j/93369172060 at the time of the event.
|Nov 17, 2021||11:00 am - 12:30 pom||Zoom||
PI/Co-PI Orientation/Training - Note that you only need to attend one Q&A session to complete PI Training. Join the Zoom meeting by visiting https://umontana.zoom.us/j/98864320165 at the time of the event.