The best way to find research and creative scholarship opportunities in the UM community is to make connections with faculty working in your area of interest. Faculty are likely to share opportunities to work on their projects during courses or directly with students they think would be a good fit for the position. You can also connect with faculty to let them know you are interested in getting involved in research.
This is not a complete listing of the research opportunities available at the University of Montana. Individual departments and UM faculty are great resources for other research openings on campus and in the region.
- Flathead Lake Biological Station Summer Internship Program: The summer internship program at the Flathead Lake Biological Station provides undergraduate students (both UM and non-UM) the opportunity to work at an internationally recognized research facility with world-class scientists. Interns gain relevant work experience while living and working on Flathead Lake.
- Center for Structural and Functional Neuroscience Sponsored Summer Fellowship: The CSFN hosts a fellowship program to support students working in neuroscience labs during the summer.
- Center for Environmental Health Sciences: The Center for Environmental Health Sciences (CEHS) offers a 10-week Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) for undergraduates interested in research careers in environmental health sciences.
- Center for Translational Medicine: As of summer 2022, the Center for Translational Medicine offered a paid summer internship to undergraduate students interested in gaining research experience in the field. Check back in late 2022 for information on 2023 programs.
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities in Neuroscience: information and contacts for getting involved in research in neurosciences.
- Wildlife Biology: Interest form for students interested in undergraduate research with WBIO.
- Supervised Research - Psychology: Psychology faculty members who accept students to work on research projects in their labs.
- Montana Space Grant Consortium: MSGC offers a number of undergraduate research opportunities, including hands-on research workshops and summer internships.
- McLaughlin Research Institute for Biomedical Sciences: Undergraduates spend eight weeks in the Institute’s faculty or in the Animal Resource Center actively engaged in a current research project under the direction of the scientist, postdoctoral fellow, or research assistant.
- Montana IDeA Network of Biomedical Research Excellence (INBRE): INBRE offers a number of opportunities and resources to students interested in human health, including undergraduate student research programs and Western Region Student Exchanges.
- NSF Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) sites at Montana State University: MSU hosts several REU sites – visit individual program pages for more information.
Undergraduate Research Opportunity Databases and Lists
- NSF Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)
- The Council on Undergraduate Research maintains a portal with links to searchable databases of internship and research opportunities.
- Pathways to Science database of opportunities.
- The Association of American Medical Colleges list of undergraduate summer research opportunities
- American Psychological Association list of undergraduate summer research opportunities
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education opportunities database
- Journalism fellowships list via California State University