Full Admission

Students who meet the academic and English language proficiency requirements are eligible to apply for full admission. We accept both freshman and transfer students for the fall or spring semesters.

  Applications Steps

1. Complete an online application
2. Pay the application fee
3. Submit required application documents


By submitting your application early there will be plenty of time to request test results and academic records as well as apply for a student visa.

A completed application and all supporting documents must be received by the following dates:

Fall Semester: June 15

Spring Semester: November 15


For I-20 purposes, all international students must submit a Certificate of Financial Responsibility, which is part of the application process. Students must show sufficient funds to cover expenses for one academic year.

The numbers below are based on estimated costs of attendance and are subject to change.

Cost Description

& Fees




Full Admission





Pathway Admission





Conditional Admission
(1 semester)





Conditional Admission
(2 semesters)





*Living Expenses reflects the cost of living in the residence halls with a double occupancy dorm room and a Food Zoo plus meal plan.

**Miscellaneous Expenses include books/supplies, health insurance etc. Books/supplies are estimates and vary depending on classes. Average health insurance cost per year is $1,000


International Student Scholarship

All fully admitted undergraduate international students will be automatically considered for the International Student Scholarship. No additional application is required. Post-Baccalaureate and Graduate students are not eligible for this scholarship program.

Additional Scholarship Opportunities

The Davidson Honors College Presidential Leadership Scholarship
The Presidential Leadership Scholarship is the University of Montana's premier academic scholarship, recognizing outstanding talent, academic performance, and contribution to the community. Freshmen who wish to apply for the Davidson Honors College Presidential Leadership Scholarship must complete the Davidson Honors College (DHC) Application form by December 4.

For more information, please refer to The Davidson Honors College website.

Academic Department Scholarships
Many of UM's academic departments award scholarships to exceptionally talented students.  You are encouraged to contact the department of interest by January to find out more about the scholarships and application process or, when available look and apply for departmental scholarships online.  Learn more about UM Departmental Scholarships.

Intercollegiate Athletic Scholarships
If you are interested in becoming a student-athlete at the University of Montana, please contact the Athletic Department.

  Application fee

A non-refundable US$30 application fee is paid online with a credit card when you submit the application. 

You can pay online after you submit the online application
OR you can mail a check or a money order with your documents. 
Checks and/or money orders should be made payable to the University of Montana.

  English language proficiency requirements

Proficiency in English for study at the undergraduate level must be demonstrated by one of the following:

English Language Test     Score Requirement
TOEFL iBT 70 or higher
TOEFL PBT 525 or higher
IELTS 6.0 or higher

Cambridge English

iTEP 3.8
PTE Academics 48
MELAB 74 or higher
SAT - Writing Score 440
ACT - English/Writing 18
EIKEN Grade Pre-1
UM English Language Institute 525 TOEFL ITP or a recommendation from UM English Language Institute   
ELS Language Center Successful Completion of Program Level 112
Kaplan International Successful Completion of Higher Intermediate Level
English Language Centres Successful Completion of Level 11
Education First (EF) Successful Completion of C1-1

Test scores must be sent directly from the testing center to:

University of Montana
Global Engagement Services - International Enrollment
219 Lommasson Center
Missoula, MT 59812 USA

Applicants transferring from a U.S. University or College may fulfill the English language requirement by completing a college-level English composition course with a grade of 'C-' or better. Online courses are cannot be accepted as proof of English language proficiency.


The following countries are exempted from submitting a test of English proficiency:
Australia, Belize, Bermuda, British West Indies, Canada (except Quebec), Commonwealth Caribbean, Guyana, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa and United Kingdom

International applicants who have attended and graduated from an American High School or American High School curriculum may be exempt from the English language proficiency requirement.

Permanent Residents/Green Card Holders are required to take and meet the SAT or ACT general admissions requirements. These requirements can be found on the General Admissions website.

  Academic Records

Submit official transcripts, academic records, diplomas, national examination results, certificates or degrees received from all secondary, post-secondary, university and/or professional schools. 

The transcript must be in the original language accompanied by an English translation.  The applicant may make the translation themselves.  

Freshman students must have the equivalent of a 2.5 GPA.

Transfer students must have the equivalent of a 2.0 GPA.

The University of Montana reserves the right to require further verification of all transcripts and academic records submitted by students.

Special Instructions for Chinese Applicants (PDF) 

  Financial Information

Complete the Certificate of Financial Responsibility within the application. 

Submit a financial statement in the name of the sponsor indicated on the certificate of financial responsibility in the application that covers one year of your costs at UM. The statement must be dated within the last six (6) months.

Your application will not be considered complete until the Certificate of Financial Responsibility is completed and accompanied by an official bank statement.

  Copy of passport

Submit a copy of the information page in your valid passport.

  Transfer Student from a US University

In addition to the steps above applicants must submit a completed Transfer Form