New Student Orientation
Fall New Student Orientation will take place from August 16 - 24, and you are expected to be in attendance.
Arrival Days are August 13, 14 and 15, be sure to complete the Airport Pickup Form at least 10 days before your departure to ensure you can be picked up from the Missoula airport after you arrive.
The Pre-Orientation Checklist below is a set of steps that all new international students (transfers included) at UM's Mountain Campus or Missoula College must complete BEFORE they attend New Student Orientation. You are considered a first-time international student even if transferring to UM from another university or high school in the USA, and must follow these steps:
- You will need to login to CyberBear before anything else, as this is where you will be asked to create your own password.
- Your NetID and password will be used to access all areas within http://my.umt.edu such as your student email, Moodle, the course catalog, the UM Housing application and much more.
- Log into your CyberBear account using your NetID as your username. You can find your NetID using the online NetID Lookup Tool.
- If you have never logged in with your NetID, your initial password is the last six digits of your UM ID number (begins with 790).
- After logging in for the first time you will be prompted to create your own password. You only need to do this one time.
- If you experience NetID login problems please contact the IT Central Help Desk at (406) 243-HELP (x4357) Mon - Fri 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. MST.
UMConnect serves as the official means of communication between students and the University of Montana, including information about registration, tuition and fees notifications, urgent announcements, notices from the President and more.
To log into your UMConnect account, you will use the same NetID and password that you use to access Cyberbear. If you prefer to forward this email to your personal account, you can learn How to Forward Your UMConnect Email here.
- Visit myHousingPortal to complete your housing contract and select your room preferences. You can also request to be part of a Living Learning Community.
- You will select your preferred meal plan on the housing application. Visit the UM Dining website for details on your options.
- If you haven't had the chance to see any of our residence halls in person, check out these virtual tours to learn about your options.
Curry Health Center must receive documentation of MMR vaccines or the equivalent and screening for tuberculosis exposure BEFORE you are allowed to register for classes at UM. You can easily do this via our Health Portal.
- Go to our Health Portal (https://curryhealthcenterhealthportal.sa.umt.edu)
- Log in using your Net ID.
- Click on the Forms Tab and complete the Tuberculosis Questionnaire form.
- If you answer yes to any of the questions you must be screened for TB at a United States medical facility. This may be done at Curry Health Center.
- Acceptable tests are: PPD skin test (if positive include reading in millimeters), QuantiFERON or T-Spot. You can enter these results under the Immunization Tab and upload the scanned TB test via the Upload Tab.
- The State of Montana also requires you to submit proof of 2 MMR vaccines, or 2 doses rubeola and rubella or IgG titers for both rubeola and rubella.
- Please enter the dates you received these vaccines or titers under the Immunizations Tab.
- Upload a copy of your immunizations via the Upload Tab.
- Once we receive your uploaded immunization records and Tuberculosis Questionnaire we will review your information and notify you via the Health Portal of your clearance to register.
- You may contact the Curry Health Center directly at email@example.com or (406) 243-4330 for questions.
International students on non-immigrant visas F and J are automatically charged the premium for the student health insurance plan as part of their tuition until they make a choice to either waive/refuse or buy/accept the student health insurance plan.
- Please log into your CyberBear account to make your insurance selection. Click on the link below the Cyberbear alert message (link title: Buy/Refuse Health Insurance) that appears immediately after logging into Cyberbear to either buy or refuse student health insurance.
You can select one of two things:
- Waive/Refuse UM Student Insurance – This means you DO NOT want the UM Student Insurance and request that it be removed from your student account. In order for it to be removed from your account, you must provide written proof of an alternative insurance plan (in English) that meets the minimum coverage requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a completed Refuse Student Insurance Form by the 15th class day.
- Buy/Accept UM Student Insurance – This means you confirm that you want to purchase the UM Student Insurance. You’re all done!
*NOTE: In order to remove the charge for the student health insurance plan from your student registration bill, you MUST provide documentation of proof of other medical insurance coverage. You should have a Certificate of Coverage, or something similar, that details the required information below on it. If you do not, you should be able to obtain one from your insurance carrier by contacting them directly.
- MUST be a hard copy of document (not a screen shot of an email saying you have coverage)
- MUST be in ENGLISH
- MUST contain:
- Carrier information
- Student’s Name
- Coverage Details (What is covered/how much is covered)
- Coverage period dates: (You must be covered for the whole semester)
Must meet UM and Federal requirements regarding minimum amount of coverage and deductible:
J-1 and F-1 Visa Requirements:
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
- Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
Spring - January 1 to May 31
Fall - August 1 to December 31
This process must be done EACH semester. If you fail to provide proof of other coverage that meets the requirements stated, BEFORE the 15th class day, you will be charged for the student insurance.
Download REFUSE STUDENT INSURANCE FORM
Get ready to smile! Head to the Griz Card Photo Submission Page to upload a photo for your UM Student ID.
New students should submit their photo before attending an orientation program so you can skip the hassle of waiting in line.
If you submit your photo in advance we will have your ID card ready for you to pick up at check-in. You will need a government issued photo ID to pick up your Griz Card.
The $15 fee for your card will be applied to your first semester bill in CyberBear.