In general, students are expected to behave in a considerate and responsible manner, which respects the rights of the University and of any other person who may be affected by their actions. All University Villages tenants are expected to abide by the Student Conduct Code. In addition to the Student Conduct Code, UM Housing has outlined the following policies in our University Villages Handbook for tenants living in and visiting University Villages.

The University Villages Office reserves the right to develop other rules and regulations as necessary for the safety, care, and cleanliness of the premises, and for the security, comfort, and convenience of all occupants. Failure of the University Villages Office to enforce any of these policies and regulations shall not be construed as a waiver of terms. They shall remain in full force and effect.

Alcohol & Drugs

The University of Montana follows all state and federal statutes. In accordance with state law, students under the age of 21 cannot consume or possess alcohol. When both residents of the apartment are under the age of 21, neither they nor their guests/visitors may possess or consume alcohol. This includes shot glasses, alcohol decorations (trophy bottles), empty alcohol containers, etc.  

For rooms in which one roommate is 21 or older while the other roommate is not of legal drinking age, the resident who is of legal drinking age may not consume alcohol in his/her room. Rooms where both or all roommates are of legal drinking age may consume alcohol inside their room and must keep their behavior from being disruptive. No guests under the age of 21 may be present in the room while the of-age roommate/guests are consuming alcoholic beverages.

Alcohol is not allowed in any public areas of the building or in rooms occupied by underage residents. Most alcohol situations are brought to attention because of disruptive behavior. This behavior is addressed through student conduct and may require attendance to Behavior Health Options (Options). The cost of the Options program is the responsibility of the student.

Alcohol violations carry with them the prospect of a Minor in Possession (MIP) and other criminal charges, and more severe consequences are dependent on the behavior displayed at the time of documentation.

Drugs are prohibited in University housing at all times. The University Villages staff is instructed to call the UM Police Department and let law enforcement take over a situation if drugs are suspected to be present. The University has strict policies regarding the illegal use and abuse of substances. Federal Student Financial Aid is immediately withdrawn if a student is criminally convicted of a drug crime.

Although Montana state law permits the use, possession, and/or cultivation of medical marijuana, federal laws prohibit the use, possession, and/or cultivation of medical marijuana in educational institutions and other recipients of federal funds. The use, possession, and/or cultivation of medical marijuana is therefore prohibited in University of Montana housing facilities or anywhere else on the University of Montana premises. Even if a student, faculty member, or staff member possesses documentation permitting the use, possession, and/or cultivation of medical marijuana, this activity cannot occur on University of Montana premises.

Facility Usage

  • Please do not make any permanent alterations, additions, or repairs to your apartment.

  • Outdoor storage buildings, sheds, etc., are not allowed within the University Villages apartment complexes.

  • Please do not put glue-tab or adhesive-backed picture hangers, coat hooks, shelves, etc., on walls, woodwork, or doors.

  • Apartments are painted as necessary, but generally not during the term of occupancy.

  • Surge protectors are required with use of your personal computer. University Villages will not be held responsible for any damages caused by equipment not properly installed.

  • Craighead/Sisson/Elliott Village - There are glass inserts for the storm doors at your apartment. For Craighead/Sisson, the inserts are in the hallway closet, and for Elliott Village apartment, the inserts are in the furnace rooms. These inserts will be beneficial during the colder months in trying to keep heat from escaping.

Barbecues are allowed in University Villages, however we would ask that everyone take these precautions and safety guidelines when using their grills:

  • Please do not use barbecues on porches, steps, or sidewalks. You may use these items on grass areas away from sidewalks and buildings if you take precautions not to harm the grass. Never leave a grill with hot charcoal unattended. We have several young children playing around the apartments and they can easily be burned.

  • When you have finished using the grill, wait for the coals to cool completely or extinguish them with water before discarding. NEVER put hot or warm coals in a trash bin.

  • Lighter fluid and matches can not be left outside for small children to play with.

Bike theft is very common, so please be sure to always lock your bike up when you are not using it. We ask that residents park and lock their bikes up in the racks provided around the apartments. Please do not chain or lock them to the stairwells or walkways, as this is against the State of Montana fire safety codes.

Residents are permitted to have a business within their apartment as long as it follows these conditions:

  1. It is approved by the UM Housing Office located in Turner Hall.

  2. It does not violate any polices of the rental contract for University Villages.

Because this will be your new home, we encourage you to make it your own. Decorate the interior with plants, posters, and rugs that you and your roommate agree upon. You are free to display posters and other things in your room including either side of your door and the inside of your window except for content unprotected by the First Amendment such as pornographic, obscene, defamatory, or fraudulent messages. You are not allowed to display posters or messages in public areas of your apartment, including outside balconies, without prior consent from the Director of UM Housing. We do ask that you consider removing materials visible to other residents in response to any resident complaint in the interest of maintaining a collegial and civil apartment environment. Decorations must not cause damage to walls.

Tenants can send faxes or request copies from the University Villages Office during business hours.


  • Faxes (Sent and/or Received)
    • $1.00 per page
  • Copies
    • $0.10 per page


In the event of severe, freezing weather, "FREEZE ALERT" signs will be posted or distributed. Please follow these instructions as soon as you see or receive these signs:

  • Drip all the faucets in your apartment - both hot and cold. Leave the faucets dripping until the "FREEZE ALERT" signs are removed.

  • Turn your heat on to a minimum of 65 degrees.

  • Open your closet and cabinet doors to expose plumbing fixtures so that these spaces will be heated.

  • If you are going to be away for an extended time period during the winter months, please alert the office. Be sure that your windows are closed, and do not turn off your heat. Instead, leave the thermostat on 60 degrees. These precautions are essential in order to avoid substantial damage to your apartment from broken pipes. If you negligently fail to take these precautions, you may be held liable not only to the damage in your own apartment, but also to any damage to your neighbor's apartment.

The University recognizes the right of privacy of all residents living in University Villages, but reserves the right to inspect its property at any time for necessary reasons. For health, safety, or emergency reasons it is sometimes necessary for a University staff member to enter a resident's apartment when he or she is not present. Every effort will be made to have an occupant of the apartment present when an inspection is made.

Each semester, health and safety inspections of apartments will be made by the Community Assistant staff to check for cleanliness and safety and to be sure that health standards are being maintained. Written notification will be made at least 24 hours before these health and safety inspections.

University Villages residents are responsible for the lawn areas outside of their apartments. This includes making sure that the lawn is free of toys, garbage, and animal waste, so as to ensure maintenance is able to mow the areas.

Playgrounds are provided for the children of residents in each area of the University Villages complexes. Parents assume all responsibility for supervising their children on the playground. Please notify the University Villages Office of any structural hazards in the playground equipment. Your cooperation is expected in keeping the playground safe and clean. Due to the proximity of the playgrounds to some apartments, tenants must be aware of noise level and being considerate of others. There is a 9:00 pm quiet hour policy for all basketball courts in University Villages due to the proximity of some courts and apartments.

We prohibit potentially dangerous toys and sports equipment on University Villages property. This policy applies to BB guns, gasoline-powered toys, bows and arrows, golf balls and clubs, bats, weapons, and any other dangerous items. Small children can get hurt when these items are present.

All children must be supervised at all times.

Please note satellite dishes of any size are not permitted in University Villages for maintenance and safety reasons.

You may display approved signs only in designated areas in the University Villages Office, Wash Houses, and Community Center. To get approval for your postings, please stop by the University Villages Office.

The speed limit within all University Villages areas is 10 mph. Please use caution and drive slow. Please note that there is also a one-way street in University Villages behind the Craighead and Sisson buildings. Please obey this street direction so traffic flows easily.

Tickets will be issued for traffic and parking violations by the UM Police Department, who will be enforcing this 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. All tickets need to be paid to their office located in Physical Plant Building 32.

Children enjoy running through the sprinklers at University Villages. We do ask that you inform your child to not play with the sprinklers at any time. If we determine a sprinkler was damaged due to improper use, the cost to fix the sprinkler may be assessed to the tenant.

In an effort to keep our area clean, the following items may not be stored outside your apartment.

  • Furniture: e.g., mattresses, bookcases, beds, bed frames, futon frames, dressers, couches, kitchen chairs, sofas, etc. The only exception will be for actual outdoor furniture that is kept neat and tidy outside the apartment and does not cause any problems for life safety codes. Life safety codes involve being able to access the apartment if there was a life-threatening emergency.

  • Appliances: e.g., freezers, refrigerators, lawn mowers, etc.

  • Automotive Supplies: e.g., tires, oil, gas cans, etc.

  • Trash/Trash Cans: Garbage can not be stored for any amount of time outside your apartment - this is a no-tolerance policy at University Villages. Your garbage needs to be taken immediately to the dumpster provided. If garbage is left outside your apartment and our staff has to remove it, you will be billed for the removal. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

  • Cardboard Boxes: These can be disposed of in the recycling bins throughout University Villages.

  • Sports Equipment: e.g., canoes, boats, skis, motorcycles, etc.

  • Excessive Toys: Tenants will be given a notice listingthe item(s) to be removed and given a date that the removal needs to be completed by. If our crew has to remove any of the above named items, there will be a $25.00 charge assessed to the resident’s account. Most items that are collected are taken to the dump.

You will need to renew your decal for University Villages parking before August 31st of each year.

  • The parking lots in University Villages are designated scramble parking. All parking lots are restricted to tenants only. University Villages parking decals are FREE and are limited to two (2) registered, licensed, and operable vehicles per apartment. All vehicles will require a University Villages parking decal to park in any University Villages parking lots. Vehicles inoperable for longer than two weeks must be removed.

  • University Villages only allows personal vehicles and does not allow any recreational vehicle, including but not limited to campers and motorhomes, to park in University Villages lots. University Villages also does not allow boats, trailers, or buses.

  • Abandoned vehicles will be towed at the owner’s expense.

  • Driving on the lawn is strictly prohibited in all areas of University Villages and carries an automatic $25.00, fine plus any costs for replacing damaged sprinkler heads and grass. Also Prohibited: 1) Parking in the yellow-painted curb areas, 2) extension cords for head bolt heaters, and 3) parking so that vehicle bumpers extend over sidewalks, which makes snow removal difficult.

  • Utility vehicles may not be parked at University Villages.

  • Maintenance on cars should be kept to a minimum (e.g., no cars on jacks, changing of oil, or draining cooling systems for extended periods of time).

  • Visitor parking will be limited to four areas: 1) City street parking, 2) the west side of Yreka Court where designated, 3) the north end of Helena Court where designated, and 4) Cinnabar Drive, north and south ends where designated.

  • All two-wheeled vehicles must be parked in a designated parking space and are not allowed on sidewalks, landscaped areas, or porches/patios. Parking 2 two-wheeled vehicles in one space is permitted.

We do ask that parents supervise their children at all times their child is in the pool. We also ask that you empty the pools after each use so the warm sun does not heat the pool and kill the grass underneath. Please store the pools up against your apartment walls so our lawn mowing crew can maneuver easily.

Do not unlatch screens, remove windows, or throw items from the windows for any reason. Room occupants will be charged for the total cost of reinstalling, repairing, or replacing damaged or destroyed screens. Additionally, residents and their guests may not enter or exit the building through the windows.

Fire Safety

In case of a fire, call 911. Fires are a potentially serious problem in all apartment communities due to the high concentration of individuals living in each building. Most fires start due to carelessness. At the top of the list is cooking related fires. Next on the list are fires that are caused by cigarettes. Please use caution and common sense to avoid a disaster.

Prevention can save your life and the lives of others.

  • Explore your community and familiarize yourself with all exits. Visit with those living in your apartment about escape routes and a meeting place outside the apartment in case of a fire. Keep exits and access areas clear of all debris and storage. This includes:

  • Keeping sidewalks, porches, common hallways, and outside landings clear of all items including trash, furniture, toys, appliances, car parts, and exercise equipment. Failure to do so will result in a cleaning/removal fee that will be charged to the offending apartment resident.

  • Not using balconies, porches, sidewalks, or any common area as a laundry drying area.

  • Not chaining bikes, motorcycles, or trailers to gas piping, stair rails, electrical conduit, or plumbing pipes. Keeping barbecue grills at least 10 feet away from all buildings, landings, or porches.

  • Barbecue grills (propane or briquette) are not permitted on the second and third floor balconies due to fire hazards.

  • Test your smoke detector(s) once a month. Notify maintenance if you have any problems with it.

  • No halogen lamps, candles, or incense.

All smoke alarms must remain operational at all times. Tenants should never disconnect smoke alarms for any reason. Please note: removing, disconnecting, or tampering with smoke alarms or fire extinguishers is grounds to terminate your lease. Your apartment has at least one battery-operated or electric smoke alarm. When the battery wears down, the alarm will “chirp” every few minutes. Please contact the University Villages Office immediately and we will provide you with a battery so you can replace the old one.

Your apartment has one 5-pound ABC-type fire extinguisher. Check the fire extinguisher’s charge periodically and call the University Villages Office immediately when it needs recharging.

Fireworks, gunpowder, and other combustible materials or substances which endanger health and safety in the University Villages area are not permitted.

The use, possession, or storage of Hoverboards, Swagways, IO Hawks, Skywalkers, and similar devices is prohibited on campus until safety standards for them can be developed and implemented, and the prohibition is lifted. Recent information has revealed that the batteries in the devices are dangerous and prone to explosion, creating a safety and fire risk. Until a time that the safety standards for these devices are improved, UM Housing has prohibited them from being in any of our residence halls or apartments.

If you have one of these devices, please remove it permanently from UM property. Please know that you will not be able to have it in campus housing and if it is found, you will be asked to remove it from UM property or face disciplinary action.

General Behavior

To conform to state laws, no form of gambling is permitted in University Villages.

Guests and visitors staying longer than three (3) days must be reported to the University Villages Office. Tenants are responsible for their guests and their compliance with all the University Villages and University policies.

Please take care of your apartment keys to avoid unnecessary lockouts and/or key fees. If you lock yourself out of your apartment anytime, any day, you can check out a temporary key from the University Villages Office for $10.00. To check out a temporary key, you must be listed on the application card. Please notify the University Villages Office if there are changes regarding those listed on the application card that may or may not have access to a key. Example: If you have a babysitter that locks themself out, they should be listed so they can re-enter the apartment. If you lock yourself out after hours, between 5:00 pm and 8:00 am on weekdays, or any time on the weekend or holidays, you will need to contact the Community Assistant on Duty at (406) 243-6030 to get a temporary key checked out to you for $10.00. All temporary keys checked out must be returned within 24 hours, or the key may be considered lost and your apartment re-keyed for safety reasons. You will also be subject to charges filed under the Student Conduct Code.

Please report lost keys immediately to the University Villages Office. We do not charge to replace a lost key, however, if you don’t find the key by the time you vacate the apartment, we will charge a re-key fee of $35.00 for each exterior door. You may have the apartment re-keyed when you lose a key or wait until you move out. If you don’t return the correct number of keys when you move out, we will charge $35.00 per exterior door to re-key the apartment immediately. Keys are the sole responsibility of the tenant who checks them out.

Theft of or intentional damage to UM furnishings or property of persons in the apartments is prohibited and will result in severe disciplinary action and/or prosecution.

Residents should immediately report any missing property to their Community Assistant, provide a complete description of the items and their value, where they were located, when the last time the items were seen, and if any person is suspected of the theft. Any theft should also be reported to the UM Police Department.

As stated in your housing contract, UM is not responsible for any personal losses due to theft, fire, water damage, or any other incidences specifically mentioned in the agreement. For this reason, we strongly urge you to obtain renter's insurance coverage for your personal belongings. If you own an automobile or bicycle, make sure that you have adequate coverage against loss, vandalism, etc.

In accordance to Missoula city ordinance of quiet hours being at 10:00 pm, our quiet hour policy is enforced seven (7) days a week from 10:00 pm to 8:00 am. We will also enforce a 9:00 pm quiet hour time for the basketball courts due to the proximity of some courts and the apartments. Please discuss any disturbances with your neighbors first. If you are unable to resolve your differences, try talking to your Community Assistant about other possible solutions. We also have a no-charge mediation program, where parties can sit down with a neutral party and talk about the issues confronting them. Call the University Villages Office for more information on the mediation program at (406) 243-6030, or talk to your Community Assistant.

While the hours between 10:00 pm and 8:00 am are considered quiet hours, we ask that everyone have common courtesy during the day, and especially in the afternoons when small children may be napping or students are studying. Please keep stereos and televisions at a reasonable volume level, and we suggest a pillow being placed under speakers for bass control.

You are responsible at all times for the actions of your children and guests. Report any security problems or vandalism to the UM Police Department at (406) 243-6131, and to the University Villages Office at (406) 243-6030.

Fish, in 10-gallon tanks or less, are the only pet allowed in the residence halls, University Villages, and Lewis and Clark Village. All other animals, except certified Service Animals, of any kind are strictly prohibited in the residence halls and apartments. This includes pets belonging to guests. Pets will not be permitted to "visit" or be on the premises for any reason.

If pets are found on the premises, violators can lose their entire damage deposit and be evicted through the Student Conduct Code process. Any damages, including the replacement of carpet, will be billed to the student's account.

Exceptions will be made for individuals requiring a service or companion animal. This request must go through the Disability Services for Students Office located in the Lommasson Center in room 154. This request must be submitted and approved prior to the animal being at the residence hall or apartment.

Only door-to-door canvassing related to non-commercial activity is permitted in the University Villages complex. Commercial solicitations including, but not limited to, door-to-door sales are prohibited. Commercial solicitation does not include delivery service. All forms of solicitation, including non-commercial solicitation, are prohibited at University Villages complexes which post a “No Solicitation” sign. Dissemination of information by authorized University of Montana offices and representatives shall not constitute solicitation for purposes of this policy. Please report any unauthorized soliciting or canvassing to the University Villages Office at (406) 243-6030.

Anyone making abusive, obscene, or harassing telephone/E-mail messages will be subject to prosecution and/or disciplinary action.

UM Housing supports the University of Montana’s tobacco free campus policy, and does not permit the use of tobacco products in any of our residence halls or apartment buildings. All buildings are designated “No Smoking” in all areas including student rooms. Smoking of any kind (e.g., hookahs, e-cigarettes, and vape/vapor/vaporizer pens, etc.) and the use of tobacco products (e.g., chew, snuff, etc.) are not allowed in areas including study rooms, restrooms, hallways, stairways, lobbies, elevators, lounges, student rooms, etc.

In accordance with the University of Montana’s tobacco free campus policy, students may also not smoke or use tobacco products outside the residence halls on campus property. Tobacco use is allowable at the following locations: sidewalks along Beckwith, Arthur, 5th and 6th Streets west of Maurice, Maurice north of 6th Street, Kim Williams Trail, and all properties outside of those borders and beyond boundaries of any property of the University of Montana. E-cigarettes and vape/vapor/vaporizer pens can be used on campus, just not within the student’s room or apartment.

Roommate Policies

University Villages is housing primarily for families and students with disabilities. Families in need of housing receive a priority status and are offered housing before single students or roommates. Single students qualify for studio, 1-bedroom, and 2-bedroom apartments. Three- and 4-bedroom apartments are strictly reserved for families. The following policies apply to all single students with roommates at University Villages:

  • Roommates living in a 2-bedroom apartment are each required to pay a $350.00 damage deposit. Damage deposits are not transferable between students. Damage deposits are transferable from Lewis and Clark Village.

  • Two-bedroom units are allowed only 1 roommate change. If the unit has already had 1 roommate change and a roommate wishes to vacate, both roommates will be required to vacate the unit. Exceptions to this may be approved by the University Villages Office as long as one original roommate continues to live in the unit.

  • If a roommate wishes to vacate, they must fill out a 30-day notice and submit it to the University Villages Office. The vacating roommate may move out at any time after the 30-day notice has been submitted, but they will be charged rent through the 30 days if another roommate has not moved into the unit during that time.

  • The vacating roommate is required to turn his/her key in to the University Villages Office the day he/she vacates the unit.

  • The remaining roommate is required to find a new roommate within 30 days after the vacating roommate has left the unit. If a new roommate is not found within this time frame, the unit no longer meets the occupancy guidelines, and the remaining roommate may be required to vacate.

  • All new roommates are required to fill out an application and pay the required application fee.

  • All new roommates are required to come to the University Villages Office and sign a Rental Agreement form.

  • All new roommates are required to complete a Move-In Check Sheet within 5 days of occupancy. The Move-In Check Sheet must be filled out to indicate any damages that are present within the unit at the time the new roommate takes occupancy. If the Check Sheet is not returned within this time frame, the new roommate assumes joint responsibility with the current roommate for all damages present.

  • If any damages are listed on the Move-In Check Sheet at the time it is returned to the University Villages Office, an inspection may be scheduled to inspect the damages and assess charges to the current roommate and the vacating roommate.

  • Damage deposits are returned to vacating students only after 1) the unit has fully vacated, an inspection has been completed by the University Villages Office, and any charges for damages/cleaning have been applied to each roommate's student account, or 2) a new roommate has moved in, a Move-In Check Sheet has been returned to the University Villages Office, an inspection has been completed (if required), and any charges for damages have been applied to the remaining and vacating roommates' student accounts.

  • Roommates must meet the conditions of occupancy as stated in the UV Tenant Manual, including taking at least 7 credits per semester.


In an emergency, call the UM Police Department at (406) 243-4000. For non-emergency situations, dial (406) 243-6131.

Anything that seems unusual or "out of place" could be criminal activity. Every resident has a responsibility to report any suspicious behavior, working as a partner with the police. Not every stranger who enters your property is a criminal, but criminals do take advantage of activity in apartment communities by pretending to be legitimately involved in sales, repairs, and service. If you see any solicitors in your community or suspect that any service or repair person is involved in illegal activity, please contact the University Villages Office and/or the UM Police Department.

Never attempt to apprehend a person committing a crime or to investigate suspicious activity. Leave any confrontations or investigations to the police.

Do not allow strangers into your apartment. You may post a no soliciting notice on your door. If you are bothered by solicitors, please contact the UM Police Department.

Some students have medical conditions requiring the use of needles. Improper disposal of hypodermic needles is dangerous because these needles may carry blood borne pathogens. Proper disposal of hypodermic needles is mandatory. A disposal container can be received at no charge by simply asking for one at the Curry Heath Center. Please keep our campus and staff safe by properly disposing of needles.

Any student or student dependent who has been designated as a violent or sexual offender by a county, state, or federal court and who is requesting housing in University facilities must notify the UM Housing Office of this information prior to execution of the contract.

The UM Housing Office must also be notified when a student or student's dependent residing in University residence halls or apartments is designated as a violent or sexual offender within 24 hours following such designation by a county, state, or federal court. The University reserves the right to review the student tenant's or student tenant dependent's offender status and the potential risk to the community due to the tenant's or tenant dependent's residence in the University residence halls or University Villages. After such review, the University may deny occupancy to a tenant or a tenant's dependent based on either offender's designation status. A student's failure to provide this required notification may also result in the student's unauthorized occupancy of University premises or other University of Montana Student Conduct Code violations, subjecting the student to Student Conduct Code disciplinary proceedings.

After registering your firearms with the University Villages Office, you may store them in your apartment. No firearms, explosives, explosive devices, or unlawful weapons of any kind are permitted on or in any other University property or facility or at any University function. Weapons of any kind are strictly prohibited on the UM campus. Violators will be dealt with to the fullest extent of the law.

Possessing or using non-lethal weapons (projectiles) that may result in direct or indirect injury are prohibited in a student's apartment. This may include but is not limited to: slingshots of all types, water balloons, water guns, paintball guns, slingshots, air soft guns, etc.

Pepper spray/mace/bear spray is permitted as a tool for safety, and should only be deployed in the case of an emergency. If used in an offensive manner and not in self-defense, it is considered a non-lethal weapon subject to this policy. Offensive use of pepper spray could also come with criminal charges in the State of Montana.