Submission Process: Thesis & Professional Paper
Please note: The submission process for the dissertation is different from the thesis or professional paper. See submission instructions for dissertations.
For formatting guidelines, visit our Formatting Your Thesis and Professional Paper page.
If you have questions about submitting documents electronically, please contact Kelly Speer, the Technology Coordinator for the Graduate School at 406-243-2701 or Kelly.Speer@umontana.edu.
1. Electronically Submit Defendable Draft of Thesis or Professional Paper
One week prior to your defense, electronically submit your thesis or professional paper (MS Word or PDF format) to The Graduate School. This is simply to check for formatting errors.
To submit your draft:
Email the document to firstname.lastname@example.org if your file is small enough.
2. Submit Final Electronic Version of Thesis or Professional Paper
Please name your document in the following format: Last Name_First Name_document type (Example: Doe_John_Thesis.pdf)
Your committee chair will submit your final thesis or professional paper (MS Word or PDF format), electronically to the Graduate School Office once your document has met all of the following criteria:
- Reviewed and approved for defense by the Graduate School
- Successfully defended
- Revisions made for your committee and the Graduate School
To submit the final version:
Email the document to email@example.com
Please ask your committee chair to include your name and whether the document is a draft or final copy in the subject line of the email. Submission of this electronic document by your committee chair will certify that your document has been reviewed and approved as the final document by all members of your committee.
The Graduate School will use this electronic document to compare and approve the copy that the student submits to ScholarWorks (See step 4 below).
3. Submit Final Items to the Graduate School
The following items are submitted to the Graduate School prior to the final graduation deadline. The Graduate School staff will obtain the Dean's signature on items where appropriate.
- Completion Document - The "Department" copy of your Graduation Application signed on the back by your chair or co-chairs under Final Degree Requirements. This form verifies the date you passed your defense, comprehensive exam and/or foreign language requirements, if applicable.
- Any course or research credit grade changes needed for degree. The Graduate School is responsible for changing thesis, dissertation or professional paper credit grades (599 or 699, only) to CR once your PDF is received.
4. Submit ETDP to The Mansfield Library through Scholarworks
(This step must be completed BEFORE your degree is awarded)
- Go to the Scholarworks site at: http://scholarworks.umt.edu.
- Click on My Account.
- Click the University of Montana NetID Login link to log in to ScholarWorks.
- Click the Collections button on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Click the Theses, Dissertations, and Professional Papers link, located under the listing for the Graduate School in the center of the page. (After clicking this link, you should be on this page: http://scholarworks.umt.edu/etd/)
- Click the Submit Research link on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Read the Submission Agreement. Check the box at the bottom of the agreement and click the Continue button.
- Complete the upload form. When you have finished, click the Submit button at the bottom of the form.
- If you are satisfied with the data you have entered, click the My Account link beneath the ScholarWorks/University of Montana header. (Click Revise submission if you wish to edit your submission.)
- Click Log Out.