Request for Leave of Absence

Graduate Students who are not continuously registered will be dropped from their programs.  If students are required to step out of their programs because of an emergency, they may petition for a leave of absence from their program by filling out a Graduate School Request for Leave of Absence Form.  The student's program chair or dean signs the form and the student submits it to the Graduate School.  The Graduate Dean will sign the form indicating approval or disapproval of the leave for the period time requested.  The length of a leave of absence cannot exceed a year, but the student can petition for additional time after one year.

Leaves of absence will not be approved for the purpose of working on jobs, research, thesis, dissertations or to establish residency. 

Students who have not maintained continuous registration or who are returning to the university after an approved leave of absence must follow the procedure for readmission.