Transcripts & Verifications
To request official transcripts, simply visit: www.studentclearinghouse.org
Official transcripts contain the signature of the Registrar and are individually sealed. A $10.00 fee is required for each official transcript.
Before You Order
- View/print your unofficial transcript in cyberbear.umt.edu
- Determine if your final grades have been posted (or request future processing).
- Determine if your degree has been awarded.
- View any holds on your account.
Option 2: Login to the cyberbear.umt.edu site.
- Click: Student Services
- Click: Student Records
- Click: Official Academic Transcript (credit card req. - add'l fee applies)
- Click: Go to Clearinghouse site. A new window will open
Enter your NetID (two letters followed by six numbers (e.g.: ab123456). Enter your NetID password. It you've never logged in with your NetID, your password is the last six digits of your student ID (790) number.
If you do not remember your NetID, you can find your NetID using the online NetID lookup tool. If you can't remember your password, click on the password reset button on the login page.
Note: Only National Student Clearinghouse can process official electronic (PDF) transcripts. The official electronic option is only available if you attended after Autumn Semester 1992.
Request in Person - 9am - 4pm, Monday - Friday
- Transcript Order Forms are available at the Registrar’s Office on the Mountain Campus or the Missoula College Campus, or at the following link: Transcript Request Form
- Completed and signed Transcript Request Forms can be submitted to the Office of the Registrar or left with Treasury Services after payment has been made at the Treasury Services Office.
- Please allow 3-5 days for processing. Expedited transcripts are available for a fee of $15.00. Requests of this type will be processed within 24 hours after receipt of request.
Request by Mail
|Office of the Registrar
University of Montana
Lommasson Center 201
Missoula, MT 59812
- Please allow 3-5 days for processing once request is received. Expedited transcripts are available for a fee of $15.00. Requests of this type will be processed within 24 hours.
- Make checks payable to "University of Montana"
Unofficial transcripts can be accessed 24/7 through your cyberbear.umt.edu account.
- Click "Student Services"
- Click "Student Records"
- Click "Academic Transcript"
- Select level, click "Submit"
Single Admissions Transmittal
Note: We are unable to fax files or process requests if the student has not completed at least one semester or if it has been more than five years since your last attendance at The University of Montana.
If you've attended one of the campuses of the Montana University System and wish to transfer to a different Montana University System campus, you can request that your file be transferred to the campus of your choice. You can make your request by completing the Request for Transmittal of Application Materials form and submit it to the institution from which you are transferring. There is an $8.00 charge for this service which must be paid to the institution from which you are transferring. This service prevents your having to gather all of the admission materials again as you did when you first applied to the University System.
The materials will include an official transcript and your admissions file. Medical history records are not included and must be obtained by contacting the Curry Health Center. If you're currently completing "in progress" courses at The University of Montana you must request a second transcript be sent after grades have been recorded.
- For an electronic PDF transcript to be considered official, it must be sent directly to the receiving entity.
- If there is a hold on your account, your transcript request cannot be processed. It is your responsibility to notify us when your hold has been removed.
If you are requesting a transcript after grades are posted, the request will be held until all term grades have been finalized and academic standings determined, approximately 2 weeks after the last day of finals.
- Transcripts requested to be express mailed from the University of Montana Registrar's Office cannot be sent to a PO Box.
- Transcripts requested to be express mailed from the National Student Clearinghouse, with be sent Monday-Saturday and will be overnighted if received by 1:00pm EST.
- FedEx is the preferred vendor for express orders, USPS Express will deliver to PO Boxes and remote areas where FedEx will not deliver.
- In remote areas, Next Day service may not be available by the carrier and will automatically be sent the next fastest service available.
- Transcripts requested to be held for pickup are available M-F 8a-5p in Lommasson 201. Transcripts are held for 30 days.
- Transcript orders for the University of Montana affiliated campuses must be requested directly from those institutions:
National Student Clearinghouse Information
The University of Montana has partnered with the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) to give students and alumni the option of ordering a secure electronic PDF transcript or hard copy transcript to be sent to themselves or others and the ability to track the order.
National Student Clearinghouse orders are processed at 10:00am, 1:30pm and 4:00pm EST each day.
AMCAS & LSAC Transcripts: Electronic transcripts are accepted by the American Medical College Application Service and Law School Admission Council.
Updates on the progress of your transcript request or any hold information will be sent to you at the email address you provide to the Clearinghouse.
If you are requesting a transcript after your degree is awarded, place your request after the degree has posted to you academic record. You can confirm the degree has been awarded by reivewing your degree status in CyberBear or by contacting the Registrar's Office. Degrees are not posted at the same time as grades and generally take 4 to 6 weeks to appear on your academic records.
Questions regarding transcripts should be directed to the University of Montana mountain campus at 406-243-2996.
Questions about the processing of your transcript after you have submitted your request through the National Student Clearinghouse should be directed to them through one of these options:
Student Self-Service Option (CyberBear)
Loan Deferment/Forbearance, Alaska PFD, Good Student Discount
All Other Enrollment Verifications
The University of Montana
Lommasson Center RM 201
Missoula, MT 59812
Fax: (406) 243-4087
What is an Apostile?
An Apostile is a certification, commonly used to refer to the legalization of a document for international use under the terms of the 1961 Hague Convention. Documents - including official academic transcripts and diplomas - which have been notarized by a notary public and then certified with a conformant apostile (Montana Secretary of State's Office) are accepted for legal use in all the nations that have signed the Hague Convention.
The University of Montana's procedures to request an Apostile on a Diploma and/or Official Academic Transcript follows. In general, you should allow a minimum of three to four weeks for an apostile request to be processed.
Montana Secretary of State Website
Information regarding an apostile on an academic transcript is near the bottom of the web page on the certification and apostile section of the Secretary of State's website.
Procedures to Request an Apostile on a Diploma and/or Official Academic Transcript
- Transcripts: Request an official transcript through the Registrar’s Office. The charge for an official academic transcript is $10.00 per copy. Questions may be directed to 406-243-2996.
Diplomas: Provide the original diploma or order a replacement through the Registrar’s Office. Questions may be directed to 406-243-2422
- Include a check in the amount of $30.00 payable to The University of Montana.
- Allow eight weeks for processing the order.
- Send a request in writing stating that the replacement will be used in the Apostile process to Registrar’s Office - Attention Apostile, The University of Montana, 32 Campus Drive, Missoula, MT 59812.
- Include in the packet addressed, stamped envelopes. One envelope for the Registrar’s Office to send the documents to the Secretary of State and the other indicating the destination of the completed document(s).
- Postage on each envelope should allow for as many documents as you are requesting being processed for apostile.
- A personal or cashier’s check made out to the Montana Secretary of State in the amount of $10 for each document to be validated must accompany the request.
- Upon receipt of the request in the Registrar’s Office, the process is as follows:
- The transcript and/or diploma is signed on the back by the Registrar and notarized. The notarization includes all the usual information necessary for a notarized document.
- The signed document(s), student-addressed envelope, check, and cover letter from the Registrar’s Office are then mailed to the Secretary of State’s office at the address below. Their certification information is available on the Secretary of State’s office website.
- Students may expedite the process by requesting and paying for overnight delivery of the document(s) through any or all phases of the process.
- As a general rule, students should allow 3-4 weeks for completion of the Apostile process. Processing time may vary by time of year and demand for the Apostile services. If a replacement diploma is ordered, add an additional eight weeks for processing.
Montana Secretary of State
State Capitol, Room 260
P.O. Box 202801
Helena, MT 59620-2801