Grades can be viewed on CyberBear.

Grading/transcript Key 

More grading info coming soon!


In response to the Faculty Senate's and Graduate Council's emergency grading provisions for spring semester 2020 courses, we have implemented a simple, straight-forward way for you to tell us which courses you'd like converted to CCR~/CR~/NCR~ grading.  

Step-By-Step Guide to Choose CCR~/CR~/NCR~

Please review the FAQs below before you make your choice.

FAQ's for CCR~/CR~/NCR~ Grading - Spring 2020

What is CCR~/CR~/NCR~ Grading?

It is an optional grading mechanism that affords students more flexibility  without the inherent anxiety of traditional letter grades. It is available for Spring 2020 courses and was introduced in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Complete Credit (CCR~)/Credit (CR~)/No Credit (NCR~) grades do not factor into your GPA. Complete Credit (CCR~) and Credit (CR~) grades count towards earned semester hours. A No Credit (NCR~) grade does not count toward earned semester hours.

Undergraduate courses: CCR~ = C- and above; CR~ = D- through D+; NCR~ = F

Graduate courses: CR~ = C and above; NCR~ = C- and below

How do I choose this alternative grading option?

You can choose the new link “CCR/CR/NCR Grade Option – 2020 Only!” on the Student Services page in CyberBear.  You will see a list of your Spring 2020 courses.  Simply indicate on the page which course(s) you want to adjust and submit the request.  For step by step instructions, please read this document.

Does my instructor or advisor have to electronically approve my request?

No.  However, we highly encourage undergraduate students to discuss this option with their academic advisor first.  The University cautions students that many graduate and professional schools and some employers do not recognize non-traditional grades (i.e., those other than A, B, C, D, F) or may discriminate against students who use the CCR~/CR~/NCR~ option for many courses.  

For graduate students, the Graduate Council provision states “Students must consult with their academic advisors before making this decision, as different programs will have different concerns about long-term implications of non-graded courses on their transcripts (professional certification, employment opportunities, etc).”

When should I request this alternative grading mechanism?

You may submit requests as soon as the link is live until seven days after grades are posted in CyberBear.  We expect to post grades on or around May 15, 2020.  

I'm not sure what I should do. Can I cancel my request later?  

If you are unsure, we encourage you discuss the choice with your advisor and/or wait until you see your final grade to make the decision. Requesting then canceling changes will significantly slow down our processing time. Please help us keep processing time short by avoiding this when at all possible. A cutoff date for cancellations will be included in your confirmation email.

Do I request this alternative grading mechanism the same way I'd request the regular credit/no credit option?

No. This will be a separate link that will send an email directly to the Registrar's Office that you've made that choice.

Can my instructor or advisor choose this grading mechanism for me?

No. While you should consult with them, opting in is entirely controlled by the student.

I already switched a course to the regular "credit/no credit" grade option. Is that okay?

You must be initially registered for a traditional grade to allow your instructor to assign you a letter grade. If not, there is no way for us to tell if you met the requirements for a "CCR~" grade.

So what should I do to switch back to "traditional"?

Email us at from your UM email account with your 790# and request to switch back to "traditional" grade option. Be specific about which course or courses you need changed.

What does "CCR~" mean?

A Complete Credit (CCR~) designation reflects performance at any of the levels A, B, or C (C- or above), and designates adequate understanding of the subject matter and adequate preparation for more advanced work in the field. Undergraduate-level courses completed with a CCR~ grade will qualify as prerequisites and will satisfy degree or general education requirements at UM or other MUS campuses.

Can I switch courses from a previous semester to the "CCR~/CR~/NCR~" grading mechanism?

No. This choice is only available for courses registered during the spring semester 2020. Students who finish incomplete work from a prior semester must complete their work under the grade option chosen at that time.

How is this different for graduate students?

Graduate and professional students may elect to take any graduate level course or any 400-level UG course on a Credit/No Credit (CR~/NCR~) basis, rather than a traditional grade. The only exception is that the CR~/NCR~ will NOT apply to courses for which all requirements were due before spring break (10-week or shorter courses*). Faculty will provide traditional grades as normal, but students can elect to opt for “CR~” for grades of C and above; grades of C-or lower will be awarded "NCR~".  Read the whole provision on the Graduate School page.

I'm going to receive an "N" or "Incomplete" grade.  What is my deadline to opt-in for CCR~/CR~/NCR~ grading?

Students have up to seven calendar days after their final grade is posted to their transcript by the Registrar.  Be sure to stay in touch with your instructor and monitor your Academic Transcript in CyberBear to make sure you know when your final grade is posted.  It is your responsibility to notify the Registrar's Office by the deadline.

I know I want to change at least one course to CCR~/CR~/NCR~, but I'm not sure about the others.  When should I submit my request?

We encourage you to submit all your changes at the same time if possible.  It is faster for us to process one request with multiple courses, but if you need to submit more than one request, you may.

What is the difference between CR~ and CR?

The tilde was added to differentiate between courses that are only taught for credit/no credit grading and courses that will be converted to the new grading option.  Our standard definition of Credit, or CR, for undergraduate courses is "D- or higher."  The definition of Credit~, or CR~, for undergraduate courses is "D- through D+".

How do I know if I'm currently registered for a "traditional" letter grade?

In CyberBear, go to "Student Services," "Registration," choose the term "Spring Semester 2020," then "View Registration Information."

View Registration Information

Updated 4/14/2020

More questions? Please email us at or chat with us from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday.