On the Water
Register for trips and classes online, or at the Outdoor Program located on the northeast corner of the Fitness and Recreation Center near Washington-Grizzly stadium. Call (406) 243-5172 for more information.
Lochsa Rafting Trip
- When: June 4th and June 11th
- Description: Enjoy one of the best and most scenic class IV white-water runs in the country. Seriously... it's awesome! Trips are run through Lewis and Clark Trail Adventures.
- Cost: $95 This includes transportation, lunch, equipment, and guides.
- Register by: June 1st or June 8th
ACA IDW (American Canoe Association Instructor Development Workshop)/ICE (Instructor Certification Exam) whitewater kayak class
- When: June 16-19
- Description: The American Canoe Association (ACA) has one of the best established paddlesport instruction programs anywhere in the world. The courses are comprehensive, but allow enough flexibility for individual teaching and paddling styles. The primary benefit of taking the course is improving your understanding of paddling technique and theory, so you can paddle more efficiently and teach more effectively. Secondary benefits are the development process which can give you structured feedback on becoming an effective instructor and the significant insurance, liability, and networking benefits of ACA certification. Instructor development workshops are very rewarding and enjoyable, because of the opportunity for idea exchange.
This class will be held in the Flathead area. This class is geared towards those people who want to improve their own kayaking technique or become a certified kayak instructor through the ACA. Pre requisite = a comfortable class II/III paddler and a have a solid Eskimo roll.
- Cost: $395
Blackfoot River Rafting Trips
- When: June 22 and June 25 (All day – meet at the ODP at 8am and return around 5pm)
- Description: Spend a day rafting the beautiful Blackfoot River just east of Missoula. This is the River featured in A River Runs Through It. Sign up early as spots are limited.
- Cost: $65 Includes Equipment, transportation, guides, and lunch.
Alberton Gorge Rating Trips
- When: June 26, July 9, 10, 13 and August 24 and 27 (all day – meet at the ODP at 8am and return around 5pm)
- Description: Spend a day running great class III + whitewater while enjoying the spectacular scenery of the Alberton Gorge just west of Missoula. Spots are limited so sign up early.
- Cost: $65 Equipment, transportation, guides and lunches provided.
Fundamentals of Kayaking Class
- When: July 19, July 21, July 26 (8:30-10:30pm pool days), August 2 and 4 (Clark Fork river days), August 6th (all day river day on the Blackfoot river).
- Description: Learn basic paddling strokes, how to read whitewater, the Eskimo roll, and boat safety.
- Cost: $185 Cost includes: instruction, equipment, transportation and pool rental.
- Register by: July 14
Blackfoot River Clean Up
- When: July 30th
- Description: Spend a day with the ODP cleaning up our beautiful Blackfoot River. The trip is free for volunteers that are willing to work. Transportation, shuttles and boats will be provided.
- Cost: FREE
Alberton Gorge Rating/Rock Climbing Overnight
- When: August 13 - 14 (Pre-Trip Meeting August 10th at 5pm in the ODP)
- Description: Come join the ODP on a multi-element overnight rafting and rock climbing adventure. Must know how to swim and have taken a belay clinic prior to the trip.
- Cost: $125
Campus Recreation is an equal opportunity service provider that conducts certain activities under special permit with the US Forest Service, Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks and the Bureau of Land Management. The University of Montana's Campus Recreation trips are permitted on the Lolo, Bitterroot, and Clearwater National Forests (Clause VII.B.). The UM Outdoor Program is partners with Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics and a member of the American Canoe Association, Trout Unlimited, The Access Fund and the Professional Ski Instructors of America.