On the Water
Register for trips and classes online, or at the Outdoor Program located on the northeast corner of the Fitness and Recreation Center near Washington-Grizzly stadium. Call (406) 243-5172 for more information.
Lochsa Rafting Trip
- When: June 4th and June 11th
- Description: Enjoy one of the best and most scenic class IV white-water runs in the country. Seriously... it's awesome! Trips are run through Lewis and Clark Trail Adventures.
- Cost: $95 This includes transportation, lunch, equipment, and guides.
- Register by: June 1st or June 8th
ACA IDW (American Canoe Association Instructor Development Workshop)/ICE (Instructor Certification Exam) whitewater kayak class
- When: June 16-19
- Description: The American Canoe Association (ACA) has one of the best established paddlesport instruction programs anywhere in the world. The courses are comprehensive, but allow enough flexibility for individual teaching and paddling styles. The primary benefit of taking the course is improving your understanding of paddling technique and theory, so you can paddle more efficiently and teach more effectively. Secondary benefits are the development process which can give you structured feedback on becoming an effective instructor and the significant insurance, liability, and networking benefits of ACA certification. Instructor development workshops are very rewarding and enjoyable, because of the opportunity for idea exchange.
This class will be held in the Flathead area. This class is geared towards those people who want to improve their own kayaking technique or become a certified kayak instructor through the ACA. Pre requisite = a comfortable class II/III paddler and a have a solid Eskimo roll.
- Cost: $395
ACA Whitewater Kayak Instructor Course
- When: April 15 (6pm - 8pm classroom); April 16, 17, 23, 24 (8am - 6pm river days)
- Description: Become an effective instructor through this certification course with the American Canoe Association (ACA). More information available online (http://zootownsurfers.com/page/ACA-classes)
- Cost: $395 (plus $65 ACA membership)
- Register by: April 1
Fundamentals of Whitewater Kayaking
- When: April 19, 21, 26 (8:30-10:30pm pool days), April 28, May 3 (5:00-8:00pm Clark Fork River), and May 7 (all day on the Blackfoot River)
- Description: Learn the basic strokes, how to read whitewater, the roll and an introduction to moving water and boat safety.
- Cost: $185. Cost includes instruction, equipment, transportation and pool entry.
- Register by: April 15
Swiftwater Rescue Training Course
- When: April 22, 23, 24 (9am - 5pm)
- Description: For boaters, kayakers, anglers, and anyone looking to train in rescue on moving water. This course is certified and taught by the Whitewater Rescue Institute.
- Cost: $295
- Register by: April 10
Campus Recreation is an equal opportunity service provider that conducts certain activities under special permit with the US Forest Service, Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks and the Bureau of Land Management. The University of Montana's Campus Recreation trips are permitted on the Lolo, Bitterroot, and Clearwater National Forests (Clause VII.B.). The UM Outdoor Program is partners with Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics and a member of the American Canoe Association, Trout Unlimited, The Access Fund and the Professional Ski Instructors of America.