Register for a class or trip using our online portal.
On the Water
Register for trips and classes online, or at the Outdoor Program located on the northeast corner of the Fitness and Recreation Center near Washington-Grizzly stadium. Call (406) 243-5172 for more information.
Lochsa Rafting Trips
- When: (Three options) May 30, June 4, June 7
- Description: Get ready for some of the best class IV whitewater in the country. Trips are run with Lewis & Clark Trail Adventures, leaving from the Outdoor Program at 7:30am and returning approximately 6:00pm. Participants must know how to swim.
- Cost: $95 each/per person. Includes transportation, equipment, guides, and lunch.
- Register by: May 28, June 1, June 4
ACA Whitewater Kayak Instructor Development Course
- When: June 5 - 9 in the Flathead area.
- Description: The American Canoe Association (ACA) is a premier instruction and certification program. This class is geared towards those who want to improve their own kayaking technique or become a certified kayak instructor. The course will take place in the Flathead area. Prerequisites: a comfortable class II/III paddler with a solid eskimo roll.
- Cost: $395, includes instruction, course manual, and certification.
- Register by: May 29
Alberton Gorge Rafting Trips
- When: June 27, July 11, 15, or August 26
- Description: Experience great class III+ whitewater and spectacular scenery on the Clark Fork River west of Missoula. We meet at 7:30am at the Outdoor Program and return approximately 4:00pm.
- Cost: $65 each/per person. Includes transportation, equipment, guides, and lunch.
- Register at least 3 days prior to trip date.
Fundamentals of Whitewater Kayaking
- When: July 16, 21, 23 (8:30-10:30pm pool days), July 28, 30 (5:00-8:00pm Clark Fork), and August 1 (Blackfoot River)
- Description: Learn the basic strokes, how to read whitewater, the roll and an introduction to moving water and boat safety.
- Cost: $185. Cost includes instruction, equipment, transportation and pool entry.
- Register by: July 14
Blackfoot River Cleanup Day
- When: July 25
- Description: Spend a day volunteering to clean up our beautiful Blackfoot River. This event is a collaboration with Montana FWP and Blackfoot Challenge.
- Cost: FREE! Includes transportation, equipment, guides, and BBQ lunch.
- Register by: July 22
Alberton Gorge Rafting & Rock Climbing Overnight Trip
- When: August 15 - 16
- Description: Join the Outdoor Program on a multi-element overnight rafting and rock climbing adventure. Participants must know how to swim and have taken a belay clinic prior to the trip.
- Cost: $125. Includes transportation, group equipment, and trip leaders.
- Pre-trip Meeting: August 12 at 5pm.
- Register by: August 12
Campus Recreation is an equal opportunity service provider that conducts certain activities under special permit with the US Forest Service, Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks and the Bureau of Land Management. The University of Montana's Campus Recreation trips are permitted on the Lolo, Bitterroot, and Clearwater National Forests (Clause VII.B.). The UM Outdoor Program is partners with Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics and a member of the American Canoe Association, Trout Unlimited, The Access Fund and the Professional Ski Instructors of America.