Kathryn Heivilin, CPIA, RBP
Senior IACUC Manager
UM Biosafety Officer
SMART Pack Vacuum Indicator
Last Review Date: October 1, 2020
The Getinge Assure S.M.A.R.T. Pack Green ® is an indicator system for determining if the autoclave is forming a vacuum suitable for effective sterilization.
The LAR staff is responsible for knowing how to use the test pack to check for mechanical air removal (vacuum) in both autoclaves. Autoclaves are located in HSB and South Skaggs animal facilities. One test pack is used in each
- Always check the expiration date on SMART Pack prior to use (located on top)
- Record SMART Pack in the autoclave logbook
- Turn on the autoclave if not already on and let it warm up (autoclave is set to come on automatically at 6 a.m. every morning).
- Open the autoclave and place the test pack in the horizontal position on the shelf.
- Select Cycle 7 (labeled SMART Pack). The cycle is for 3 minutes.
- Push autoclave door up to close.
- After the
doorhas sealed, the green "Start" light will flash and the monitor will display "Standby."
- Press the "Start" button.
- When the cycle is complete, push the autoclave door down to open.
- The autoclave will be hot, use caution.
- Wear heat-resistant gloves when removing the test pack and close the autoclave door.
- Open the test pack using the tear strip and remove the test sheet from the center of the pack.
- Attach test strip sheet into SMART Pack Log Book in HS009D.
- Interpret the results as follows:
- Complete color change from white to pink: satisfactory vacuum
- Incomplete color change or lack of color: incomplete air removal
- Call Getinge for autoclave service which is covered in our preventive maintenance contract