Faculty and Staff Resources
Experiential Learning & Career Success partners with faculty and staff to implement ElevateU, UM’s signature career readiness program, by providing career development support to students including academic decision-making, career assessments, résumé, and cover letter writing, internship/job application, interview coaching, salary negotiation, and much more. Our career coaches and experiential learning advisers are available to help guide your students to appropriate out-of-class experiential learning activities to enhance their classroom education and laboratory discoveries.
If interested in embedding ElevateU career readiness into your syllabi and class, please call us (243-2022) to discuss possibilities. Read more about ElevateU’s Career Readiness in the Classroom. Please note, due to staff limitations, ELCS cannot accommodate individual student coaching sessions as a class requirement. Please contact our office to discuss options that will maximize support to our students efficiently.
University of Montana early-career alum (up to 5 years post-graduation) are eligible to use our career coaching services.
What Would You Like to Do?
Hire a Student
University of Montana utilizes Handshake, a nation-wide employment platform, for all student opportunities. To advertise your opportunities and hire students, just request to join your department. Does your department not have an employer account yet? Create one today!
Make sure to read our Employer's Guide to Handshake to help you get started.
If you have other questions about creating a Handshake account, creating job postings, how to reach students, or general use of the platform, we recommend that you visit the Handshake Help Center. If you can't find the answers you are looking for, don't hesitate to reach out to our office at (406) 243-2022 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Request a Classroom Presentation
National Student Employment Week
Dates: April 11-17
National Student Employment Week is an opportunity to acknowledge and celebrate the value that student employees bring to the workplace. During this week, we encourage you to do something special for your student employees to let them know they are appreciated! Below are some ideas for how you can celebrate your students as well as some special deals happening around campus for UM student employees.
- Free group fitness classes: All week!
- Campus rec is offering any of their group fitness classes free to student employees! Students should simply tell the instructor where they are employed on campus, and they will get into the class for free! View the class schedule here.
- Free play in the UC Game Room: All week!
- Student employees can play free in the game room! Just show any proof of employment, such as a nametag or note from your supervisor.
- Student Employee Firepit Celebration: Tuesday, April 13 from 11am - 1pm
- On Tuesday, April 13, student employees can take a break and socialize at the firepits on the Oval between 11am and 1pm. Stop by and talk to the Mansfield Library for their Take A Break Tuesday, and enjoy being outside with your colleagues (social distancing and masks required., of course).
- Campus Dining Perks
- Join the Campus Dining Perks program and receive exclusive discounts every week through the end of the semester! Students can text "CAMPUSDININGPERKS" to 844-949-2456.
Other Ideas for Celebration
- Have your department create a kudos board
- Create and present superlative awards for all of your student employees
- If you have some funds, give your student employees some Bear Bucks. Contact Angie at 406-243-6325 to load money onto your student's Griz Cards.
- Take a walk with your staff to Dairy Queen or Big Dipper for an ice cream hour
Student Employee of the Year
Each year, one deserving UM student employee will be honored as University of Montana's Student Employee of the Year. If you have an outstanding student employee, we encourage you to submit a nomination. The winning student will receive a $500 scholarship and be honored at the Week of Excellence Ceremony on April 19, 2020!
Deadline for Nominations: Friday, April 2
Only one student nomination per department is accepted.