About the Program
The Davidson Honors College provides motivated students pursuing any major at UM with personalized opportunities to make the most of their undergraduate studies. Students complete the integrated honors curriculum on their way toward graduating with University Scholar distinction.
With small classes taught in innovative and deeply engaging ways by some of the university’s finest instructors, Honors students build their academic and professional trajectories in ways that emphasize not only edge subject matter knowledge, but also critical thinking, meaning-making, interdisciplinary problem solving, communications, research and creative scholarship, leadership, and service. Through experiential learning opportunities such as internships, study abroad, and field courses, students apply what they are learning to real-world challenges and are well-positioned for future study, work, and life. The DHC is an engine of opportunity for students that elevates, enriches, and enlivens their time at UM.
In addition to close relationships with faculty mentors, honors students benefit from a dynamic and dedicated DHC staff who provide expert guidance, holistic support, and unrivaled opportunities for personal and professional development. These include a Director of Student Engagement, a Student Success Coordinator, a Director of External Scholarships and Fellowships, and an Assistant Dean and Director of Career Development, Community Partnerships, and Scholarships.
A strong, shared sense of connectedness lies at the heart of what the DHC is all about. The Davidson Honors College building, located on the Oval at the heart of the UM campus, includes teaching and learning spaces, a cozy lounge, and an inviting patio where students, faculty, and staff can gather informally for events, meetings, meals, to study, converse, rest, and recreate. As members of an intellectually curious, supportive, energetic, and fun! community, students are inspired to discover their own pathways to success, to become the best versions of themselves, and to strengthen their positive impacts in the world.
The Davidson Honors College:
- Serves 900 talented students at the University of Montana
- Offers Honors courses capped at 20 students per class
- Supports its students' engagement in undergraduate research
- Offers mentoring for scholarships, internships, and study abroad
- Offers student organizations and activities that engage the greater campus and enhance the Honors community
We prepare thoughtful, informed, agile and impactful citizens. Our students are thinkers, doers, explorers, creators, servants, leaders, and agents of positive change. Through curricular and co-curricular experiences, they are equipped with new ways of knowing, seeing, doing and being in the world.
Students graduating as University Scholars will be able to:
- Collect, analyze, and synthesize information
- Demonstrate excellence in oral, written, interpersonal and digital communication
- Engage in independent and collaborative work, problem-solving and community engagement
- Learn and reflect about their own and others’ experiences
- Demonstrate ethical, original, creative, and critical thought and action
- Pursue a meaningful life and future personal and professional success