On average, students who graduate from our MPA Program have a starting salary of $56,000. Seventy-seven percent of our graduates, who do not have employment while pursuing their degree, are employed within six months after graduation.
Who do I contact for career assistance?
The UM School of Law’s Katy Stack (Director of Career Development) and Leslie Ellington-Staal (Career Services Program Coordinator) will provide you direct assistance and their extensive expertise with job preparedness:
- Resume and cover letter assistance
- Mock interviews
- What to do/not do for interviews (e.g. group interviews, zoom interviews, or in person interviews)
- Pre- and post-interview success tips
How do I sign up for a career advising appointment?
If you want assistance on your resume or cover letter, you are required to send a draft in advance (at least 48 hours prior to your scheduled meeting time). If you need samples to get you started, please ask Katy or Leslie.
These services are open to all (online or in person) DPAP graduate students (joint, certificate, or masters).
Please review this portion of our website regularly because it is updated often.
- Baucus Leaders Montana This new Baucus Institute program will place 7 fellows in Montana-based offices for two-month paid internships in the summer of 2021. Must be enrolled in a Dept. of Public Admin & Policy program to apply (this includes MPA and joint degrees, nonprofit minor, and certificate program). Deadline to apply is 11-1-2020.
PublicServiceCareers.org is a widely used website for finding jobs and career advice for public service and public affairs students and professionals.
- AmeriCorps Service Positions (MT, various cities)
- Montana Nonprofit Association job board
Statewide resource for those interested in a nonprofit career.
- Chief Human Resources Officer for City of Missoula This position will be responsible for reimagining the City of Missoula personnel services, functions, culture, structure and policies. They will drive key Human Resources (HR) best practices and initiatives and provide strategic direction and expertise for the full scope of the HR function, including labor relations. Full time with benefits, $132k/year. Deadline to apply is 5pm MST on 11-20-20.
- MAS Student Lobbyist for the Montana Associated Students (pdf) This position is responsible for representing and advocating the interests of students throughout the Montana University System in the 2021 legislative session. Duties will include testifying before legislative committees and writing letters on issues/bills that fit within the legislative priorities set by MAS. Position begins in December and ends in May, paid $1150/month for total of $7,000. Deadline to apply is November 20, 2020.
- Recreation/Aquatics Customer Service Representative for Parks & Recreation (pdf) (Missoula, MT) Missoula Parks & Recreation is seeking friendly, energetic folks to join their customer service team. 20-30 hours per week, but full-time may be available. Morning, evening, and weekend shifts available. $9.71/hour, open until filled.
- Director of Development & Communications for Montana Audubon (Helena, MT) Full-time staff whose primary responsibility is to coordinate all fund development activities, working with the Executive Director and the Development Committee to promote a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization. Salary commensurate with experience, benefits include vacation, simple IRA w/match, & health insurance. Open until filled.
- Policy & Accreditation Support Specialist for Western Montana Mental Health Center (pdf) (Missoula, MT) This position is responsible for developing, maintaining, managing, coordinating, and supporting the accreditation, licensing, and policy and procedure functions.
- Jen Zellmer-Cuersema, UM Athletics Advisor
- Shyra Scott, Missoula County Clerk & Recording
- Anne Hughes, Missoula County Communications Director
- Dayna Swanson, Office of Senator Tester
- Holly Luck, Office of Senators Melcher, Baucus, and Walsh
- Tim Fox, Montana Attorney General
- Eldena Bear Don’t Walk, tribal judge, first female Chief Justice of the Crow Tribe
- Debra DuMontier, Office of Special Trustee for American Indians
- Deena Mansour, Executive Director of the Mansfield Center
- Jesse Mahugh, Executive Director of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Flathead County
- Aubrie Lyons, Director of Montana World Affairs Council
- Mike Halligan, Executive Director of the Dennis & Phyllis Washington Foundation