$50,561 plus bonuses
Legal Studies Certificate of Technical Studies
Michelle Boller, Program Director
The Legal Studies Certificate is a 1-year distance program that can be paired with an Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) degree. The program is tailored to meet the needs of those interested in pursuing paralegal work in law firms, government agencies, public administration, legal justice, and health insurance. Post-baccalaureate students will only need to complete certificate.
The program is approved by the American Bar Association and also considered a University of Montana Program of Distinction.
What to expect:
The Legal Studies program offers students a stable launch pad to enter the field of law. Students can expect a blend of practical education and career readiness. Students will immerse themselves in areas such as legal writing/drafting, terminology, function of law, interviewing, and preparing for trial. Participants will be well prepared to enter the work force upon program completion or pursue further academic interests if they choose.
- Certification can be achieved in 1-year as long as you have a associate of arts or baccalaureate degree.
- Classes taught remotely and online, offering students across Montana easy access to education.
- Students will build a wide array of legal knowledge and applicable skills related to the field.
- Students are led by experienced faculty and industry professionals.
- Students participate in a 90-hour internship, often paid.
- Students can expect a significant emphasis on research and writing, learning how to enhance and apply these skills in a professional setting.
- Students will be part of a diverse cohort and supportive learning environment.
- Smaller class sizes offer students easy access to instructors, industry professionals, and peers.
After completing the Legal Studies program, students will receive ABA-approved certificate. Students will be prepped and ready to enter a career in law or utilize transferable credits to further pursue academic interests.
As the growth rate in the legal field is expanding, graduating students will have ample opportunities to pursue their career goals. Completing this program will offer students the confidence, skills, and certification enabling them to a successful and thriving career in any area of law.
This program is approved by the American Bar Association. The Paralegal Studies program prepares students for challenging and diverse careers in private law practices and in the law-related areas of business, industry, and government.
The goals of the Legal Studies program are to enable students, through theoretical and practical legal education, to understand the function of law, to work as paralegals in the effective delivery of legal services, and to enhance the legal profession. This program is designed to equip students with skills to analyze legal issues and perform a variety of activities including drafting legal documents, interviewing clients, conducting legal research, and preparing cases for trial. Students utilize current technology through Internet research and legal and general office software applications.
Legal studies students receive the necessary legal training to take advantage of new career opportunities in all sectors of the economy. Students are exposed to the principles of legal ethics and are cautioned regarding restrictions against the unauthorized practice of law by layperson. Paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public, except as permitted by law.
There's no better time to get started than now. Apply below, or contact us and we will get you started.