DegreeWorks FAQ

About DegreeWorks

DegreeWorks is a Web-based tool for students to monitor their academic progress toward degree completion. DegreeWorks allows students and their advisors to plan future academic coursework.

A DegreeWorks audit is a review of past, current and "planned" coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding requirements necessary to complete a degree/major/minor/concentration.

Yes. Access to DegreeWorks is through the Web. Anywhere you can log in to CyberBear will allow you access to DegreeWorks.

Yes. Like other processes you use through CyberBear, DegreeWorks is accessed through your secure log in. Remember that your advisor, faculty, and selected staff will be able to view the information contained in DegreeWorks.

Currently, DegreeWorks is available to all degree-seeking undergraduate students. Advisors, faculty, and selected staff will also have access for the purpose of supporting your progress through your academic career.

The information in DegreeWorks is refreshed each night. Any changes made today (e.g., grade changes or classes added/dropped) will be seen in DegreeWorks tomorrow.

No. DegreeWorks is a snapshot of courses in-progress, planned, and in academic history. Registration will continue to be handled in CyberBear.

Yes. DegreeWorks is laid out in block format displaying degree, major, minor, and concentration requirements information. Look for unchecked boxes to identify requirements that you still need to complete.

Yes. See the Planner section for information.

Yes. Once grades have been processed at the end of the semester, they are viewable in DegreeWorks following the nightly refresh. Final grades are not available in DegreeWorks until after the final grading period for the University has ended. Courses in-progress are listed with an "IP" grade.

Yes. On the Audit tab, click on the Class History link at the top for a printable list of courses taken at UM as well as transfer courses.

You should consult your academic advisor for a review of your audit. Any exception to major, minor, or concentration requirements should be discussed with your major/minor advisor or academic department personnel.

There could be several reasons. One is that DegreeWorks may not have refreshed since a change was made (the information is refreshed nightly). Second, there could be some paperwork that needs to be completed. For example, if you have completed transfer courses, it is possible that the university has not received an official transcript or the coursework is pending departmental review. Check with the Admissions Office if your transcript or audit does not reflect transfer work you have completed.

You cannot update course information in DegreeWorks. To change your major/minor/concentration, please fill out the major change form and submit it to the Registrar's Office.

If you are having trouble logging into DegreeWorks please call IT Central help desk @ 243-HELP or 243-4357. If you are seeing issues regarding your degree audit please contact the Office for Student Success @ 243-2800.

Using the Audit

Your audit will display the courses you've taken or are registered for and will show you any degree, major, minor, or concentration requirements that are being met by the courses you've taken or that may be met upon satisfactory completion of courses in progress.

DegreeWorks uses the information that is current for your transcript. You will be able to view any courses that have been completed/registered for/transferred by the date your audit was last refreshed. (Data is refreshed nightly.) Keep in mind that any transfer work or grade changes that have not been formally submitted and accepted will not appear on your audit.

Your academic advisor is your primary point of contact. If your advisor determines that your audit is incorrect, he/she will contact the Registrar's for assistance.

Your major GPA is a calculated GPA based on coursework used to fulfill major requirements. This GPA will appear within the major block requirements of your audit. Additionally, depending upon your college, the major GPA may also include courses that potentially could have been used within the major block but were not needed to fulfill specific requirements.

Your audit will outline for you courses still needed to meet degree, major, minor, and/or concentration requirements within each specific block. You may then use this information to discuss your plan with your academic advisor.

Your academic advisor is your primary point of contact. If your advisor determines that your audit is incorrect, he/she will contact the Registrar's Office for assistance.

Check with the Student Services office of your college. Please click here for contact information.

If you just submitted the application materials to declare your major, after being undeclared, it will take at least 24 hours before your newly declared major shows up in DegreeWorks.

DegreeWorks is designed to show a listing of your majors and minors in the Student View audit. Additionally, each major and minor is broken out into individual requirement blocks within the audit. Students pursuing simultaneous degrees or a second major in a degree will need to click on the Degree drop-down box at the top of the Student View audit in order to view the additional requirements.

You can access your second degree audit by using the Degree drop down menu at the top of the screen.

There could be two reasons. First, the course did not meet either the minimum number of credits and/or minimum grade requirement for use in your program of study. Second, all requirements have been met and this course is simply not needed.

Courses from which you have withdrawn will appear in the Insufficient Due to Grades and/or Repeats block on your audit.

You should contact your advisor to resolve any substitution issue. Any waivers, substitutions, or exceptions for major, minor or concentration requirements must be communicated to the appropriate department chair and processed by the Registrar's Office.

Not necessarily. If you have applied to graduate, the Graduation Department in the Registrar's Office will perform a preliminary audit of your coursework after you have submitted the approved graduation application and a final audit after all final grades have been submitted to determine if you are eligible to graduate. Missing requirements will be communicated to you by Graduation Department of the Registrar's Office.

Using What-If

The What-If function allows you to hypothetically change your major, minor, or concentration. The What-If audit will show you what coursework is required for the new major, minor, or concentration, what courses you have taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses are still left for you to take.

No. The What-If function is for information purposes only. You will see the header What-If Audit displayed at the top of the audit whenever an audit is run on a What- If scenario.

Yes. The What-If function will perform an audit based on the hypothetical major/minor/concentration and will show how your completed, current, and planned coursework meets the requirements of the hypothetical major/minor/concentration.

Since What-If scenarios are not stored on DegreeWorks, your advisor can only see your results if the two of you work through a What-If procedure together.

Yes. DegreeWorks will allow you to select more than one major at a time, or to select multiple major(s), minor(s) and concentration(s).

No. What-If plans are not saved on DegreeWorks. You would need to run a new What-If scenario next time you log in to see it again.

Yes. If you want to share it with your advisor at a later date, you should print your What-If scenario.

Always speak with your advisor first. After consulting with your advisor, you may change your academic program using the Change of Major/Minor form and submit it to the Registrar's Office.


The Term Calculator will show you your estimated cumulative GPA after you fill in hypothetical grade information. By putting in your current earned units and GPA and placing your in-progress courses in the table (this all will default in for you) along with the grade you anticipate receiving for each course; you will see a revised cumulative GPA based on the estimates you provided.

No. This is an estimate only.

"CR" grades do not count in your GPA. Remove courses for which you expect to receive a "CR" from your course list before calculating GPA.