Keep on Learning
You might have many questions about your classes due to the current status of COVID-19 around the country. UM has great resources available for you to stay informed. Please visit UM's Coronavirus Information website.
We are working hard to provide high-quality learning and campus life in a healthy environment. On-campus hygiene and providing students with optimal learning environments are our top priorities.
If you are in need of accommodations, please visit Office for Disability Equity.
Please review our Self-Reporting Guidelines.
THINKING ABOUT YOUR OPTIONS FOR NEXT SEMESTER?
We will teach face-to-face as much as possible, there will be more remote and online learning options than before. Your classes will be taught in a variety of ways which we will now explain below:
Face-to-face: Students and faculty work together in a scheduled classroom.
- You are able to distinguish these courses by registering for section numbers 01-25. For example, WRIT 101-01, WRIT 101-02, etc. These course sections will be available Face-to-face.
Remote: Students and faculty work together synchronously through web-based communication technology. This means you, your classmates and your instructor interact in a specific virtual place, through a specific online medium, at a specific time.
- You can distinguish these courses by registering for section numbers beginning with the letter R followed by a number 01-25. For example, a remote section of WRIT 101 will appear as WRIT 101-R01.
Blended (also called hybrid or hyflex): These classes are taught in-person and have some virtual or online elements combined. Can include Hyflex courses (an instructional modality that allows students to participate synchronously online or face-to-face).
- You can register for these sections of course by selecting section numbers beginning with the letter B followed by a number 01-25. For example, a blended section of WRIT 101 will appear as WRIT 101-B01.
Online: Learning and dialogue do not require any in-person meeting and are most often offered asynchronously. Learning happens on your schedule. While your course of study, instructor or degree program will provide materials for reading, lectures for viewing, assignments for completing, and exams for evaluation, you have the ability to access and satisfy these requirements within a flexible time frame.
- You can register for these courses by selecting courses with section numbers between 50-65. For example, WRIT 101-50.
Distance-only students: You will only be able to register for course sections using “Internet, online or video conferencing” methods.
- You can register for these courses by selecting courses with section numbers 50 through 59. For example, WRIT 101-51.
HOW DO I GET STARTED SELECTING THE RIGHT CLASS MODALITY FOR THIS SEMESTER?
- Take a look at the list of courses available remotely or online.
- Decide what courses you would like to take.
- Communicate with your academic advisor about the list of courses you are interested in.
- Register for classes in Cyberbear.
- If you registered for face-to-face classes last semester, please be aware one or more of your classes may change to remote, blended, or online. Physical distancing requirements take up more space inside classrooms, so classroom space and capacities become limited.
- If you were signed up for a class that has been canceled, you can reach out to your adviser to find alternatives, or to find out when that course will be offered again.
- If you have questions about your new schedule, please contact your adviser. They can answer questions and make other changes if you need them.
WHAT IS THE COST OF TUITION AND FEES AT UM DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC?
We want you to understand how your bill might look this semester. Some of the changes we’ve put in place have fees associated with them.
- Remote fee: There is no extra fee for remote instruction.
- Blended fee: Fee of $24 per credit hour to cover the costs of designing a blended course.
- Campus-based fees: Campus-based fees will be applied per the Tuition and Fee structure for all face-to-face, remote, and blended classes.
- Online fee: Fee of $49 per credit hour to cover the costs of designing fully online courses.
When you get your new schedule, please talk to your adviser if you have questions about fees. Fees are subject to change. Please visit UM’s Tuition and Fee web page for the most current information.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU THINK YOU’VE BEEN EXPOSED TO SOMEONE WITH COVID-19?
- If you haven’t been tested, first call Curry Health Center at 406-243-2122. Curry Health Center staff will walk you through next steps.
- If you have been tested and a diagnosis confirmed, please follow suggested protocols.
- Inform your instructors that you may need to be away from classes for an extended time. You are not required to disclose your diagnosis.
- Contact your advisor. Your advisor is here to assist you and can help coordinate with your instructors on your behalf. You can locate your advisor in Navigate, in Cyberbear Student Services, or by visiting the Advising Directory.
- If you need further assistance with accommodations for your classes, contact Disability Services for Students at 406-243-2243.