ASUM Legal Services
Low Cost Legal Services for Students
ASUM Legal Services has provided low cost legal assistance to eligible students of the University of Montana since 1975. We are comprised of two attorneys, Lou Villemez and Jessie Lundberg. one legal secretary, Samantha Seidensticker, and law school student interns working under the supervision of the attorneys.
How to Apply for Legal Services
In order to obtain legal advice and assistance, you must first complete the intake form(s). Please fill out the general intake form and any supplemental form for your case type (criminal, family, landlord-tenant, etc.). These forms are linked below, or you can contact us by calling 406-243-6213 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also stop by our office in the ASUM area of the University Center, room 116.
Please fill out the forms completely, including:
- A detailed summary of your problem/question
- The names of anyone who is involved with your legal issue, including the adverse/opposing person(s)
- Your Student ID Number, phone number, address, email address, your student status (full time or part time), and your expected date of graduation.
- Provide all documents relevant to your case, such as letters, tickets, court orders, leases, etc.
You should then email the form(s) to us along with all documents relevant to your case to email@example.com
Here are the intake forms:
After you submit the intake form(s) and documents we will screen your intake within 1-3 days and contact you with the services that we are able to provide. Depending on your case, we may only be able to provide referrals and resources. If we are able to provide legal advice, then we will contact you to schedule an appointment. If you receive an appointment to receive legal advice there is a fee of $25. There may be additional fees for additional services.
We are not able to provide full attorney representation on every case, but our goal is to provide legal advice to every student in need. There is a fee of $25 for your initial advice appointment, and additional fees for additional services. We provide legal advice, assistance and sometimes attorney representation on a variety of legal matters, including but not limited to:
- Landlord & Tenant: Please contact the ASUM Renter Center for all rental and landlord/tenant issues and questions. They will refer your case to us if you need legal advice or assistance. Please contact ASUM Renter Center directly.
- Other Housing Issues: For other housing issues (such as foreclosure or discrimination) please contact us.
- Family Law: Divorce, custody, child support.
- Consumer Matters: Debt problems, car sales and repair problems, fraud and identity theft.
- Criminal Cases:
- Civil Rights
- Property Damage
- Document Drafting: Wills, Powers of Attorney, informal Guardianships, Living Wills, Deeds, Contracts, etc.
- Notary Public: Notarization of documents. $5 fee.
We can provide advice, resources, or referrals for nearly any legal issue.
In addition to specific legal advice and assistance, ASUM Legal Services offers a wealth of legal information and legal resources for the students of the University of Montana, including:
- Self Help forms: Montana Court forms and instructions
- Montana Legal Services Association: Legal help for low income persons
- Montana Law Help: Do It Yourself assistance
- ASUM Renter Center
- Lawyer referrals for cases that we can't handle
- Referrals to other resources and agencies, both legal and non-legal
- We also have an in-house Notary Public for your document notarizing needs
Immigration Law Legal Resources
Unfortunately, we are not able to provide legal services in the area of Immigration Law. Here are some resources for assistance with those issues:
- National Immigration Law Center
- Montana Law Help: Immigration
- ACLU Know Your Rights: Immigrants' Rights
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services