Housing modifications

Housing modifications in Residence Halls, University Villages, and the Lewis and Clark Village

Disability Services for Students and UM Housing work together to ensure that students with disabilities can participate in UM Housing's programs including housing.

Examples of housing modifications:

  • Accessible rooms or bathrooms
  • Bringing a medical bed
  • Elevator access
  • Having a service animal
  • Having an assistance animal or therapy animal
  • Personal care attendant's access to buildings
  • Remote automatic door openers
  • Signaling devices
  • Single rooms*

*Modification requests are only for the student's living space. Requests based on studying issues will not be considered.

How to request housing modifications

  1. Complete the UM Housing's online application as soon as possible. In the application, indicate that you are requesting a housing modification.
  2. Contact Disability Services at 406.243.2243 and make an appointment to meet with a coordinator. 
  3. Submit disability documentation to Disability Services.
  4. After Disability Services sends a housing modification verification to UM Housing, contact UM Housing as a follow-up.