In general, students are expected to behave in a considerate and responsible manner which respects the rights of the University and of any other person who may be affected by their actions. All Residence Hall students are expected to abide by the Student Conduct Code. In addition to the Student Conduct Code, UM Housing has outlined the following policies in our 2020-2021 Student Handbook for students living in and visiting the Residence Halls.
Policy expectations during the COVID-19 Pandemic
All students whom live in the residence halls are expected to abide by the following policy expectations. Violations of these expectations are considered Disruptive Behavior as they are a risk to the health and safety of the community and could initiate in a community standards proceeding which could result in removal from Housing.
October 6, 2020 Update:
UM Housing will return to a no-visitor policy amongst floors, effective immediately. A guest is defined as any individual that is not assigned to live in the specific residential room/suite.
As you know, UM Housing, along with the rest of campus, has worked hard to mitigate COVID risks throughout our operations. We realize living in residence halls is an important experience and provides connections to new friends and opportunities for engagement and socializing. We are also seeing the increase in positive cases across the state, in Missoula County, and in clusters in our campus community (including within UM Housing) as concerning and requiring additional risk mitigation.
Common spaces will remain closed until further notice. Residents are still highly encouraged to use building lobbies, other campus spaces (including the University Center, Mansfield Library, and academic building lounges), and outdoor spaces for alternative study and socializing locations. These spaces can maintain greater air circulation and social distancing. If residents choose to use these lobbies or other open spaces (such as laundry rooms and bathrooms) within the residential community, they must follow the following common space expectations:
- Furniture in all open common spaces are set up to establish social distancing. Moving of this furniture is prohibited.
- Residents must comply with capacity limits posted outside of each common space.
- Residents must maintain social distancing while in common spaces.
- Residents must comply with the Face Coverings policy, which includes common spaces.
- Entry into closed common spaces is prohibited.
Other COVID Policies
All other COVID-specific polices remain in effect. See below for more details.
- Masks – In accordance with the State of Montana, the Missoula County Health Department, and the University of Montana, all students, faculty, staff, parents, and visitors are required to wear masks appropriately while they are on campus. Residents do not need to wear masks in their residential room/suite, unless expected by other residents of the space. If guests are present in the room, all persons in the room must wear masks.
- Noncompliance with quarantine or isolation directives by medical professionals or Missoula County Health Officials.
- Malicious actions that cause fear or threaten the spread of illness, including intentionally standing or walking within six feet of another individual and coughing or sneezing on individuals or objects.
Residence Hall Contract
In addition to agreeing to the Residence Hall policies, the student must sign and agree to the Residence Halls Contract for the specific term when submitting their housing application. Below is the contract for the indicated term:
- Residence Halls Contract - Academic Year 2020-2021 (updated and applicable for the 2020 - 2021 Academic Year Residence Halls Application)
- Residence Halls Contract - Academic Year 2021-2022 (applicable for the 2021-2022 Academic Year Residence Halls Application)