Distance Education, Local Impact
The 2+2 Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) Program is a unique and innovative program that has demonstrated a commitment to tribal, rural and metro communities through its successful partnerships with various community colleges and tribal colleges.
- Since its initial partnership with Flathead Valley Community College in 2010, in 2015, the program began a concerted focus on expansion focused on building collaborative relationships with rural and tribal communities in Montana. We have grown to nine partnering colleges and is now accepting students from all around the state of MT.
- Our blended model ensures that we build and maintain close relationships with everyone we are working with, so we can understand individual community needs, connect with faculty and practicum agencies, and offer blended opportunities at UM and at partnering colleges.
- The positions being filled by our graduates include dually licensed Addictions Counselors (LBSW/LAC), integrated healthcare workers, tribal court advocates, child and family services (BIA and State), community organizers, program managers, policy workers and many more.
The Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) 2+2 Program caters to students who are working on or have finished their Associate’s Degree from one of our partnering colleges or another institution have met the criteria for admission through satisfying prerequisites. Students who meet the requirements can finish their Bachelor’s Degree through the University of Montana – Missoula with a cohort of their peers all across the state.
The core curriculum is the same as the on-campus program, including the 450 hours (10 credits) of practicum experience, but all classes are offered online so students can stay in their own community while earning their degree. The program is partially blended and offers options for campus and home community engagement.
- Admission to the BSW 2+2 Program is every Autumn semester
- Fall, 2023 Admissions are closed. We will be accepting admissions for Fall, 2024 beginning January, 2024 - reach out to inquire about the program!
- The program occurs over four academic semesters (fall/spring) for two years.
- Before applying for the 2+2 BSW Distance Learning Program, applicants should have met with their community or tribal college academic advisor or have been in contact with a professional academic advisor from the UM School of Social Work. Contact Heidi.Holzer@mso.umt.edu for more information.
2+2 Application Steps: