To be eligible for emeritus status, a retired faculty member must have:
- been employed by the University of Montana for no less than ten years, and
- maintained a record of excellence in teaching, research/creativity, and service.
- Please note, emeritus status is an honor conferred upon a retiree. It is not associated with employee/retiree privileges. For more information about retirees' benefits and privileges, please see the Retirees' Association website.
- Once the Provost approves the nomination, it will be sent to the next available Board of Regents meeting. The BOR accepts these nominations at the March, May, September, and November meetings but they must be received several weeks in advance. (BOR meeting schedule)
To nominate a retired faculty member:
- The Department should prepare a proposal and submit it to their Dean. Please include a brief narrative with your nomination that describes the nominee's qualifications for emeritus status.
- The Dean will make a recommendation to the Provost.
- The Provost will then make a recommendation and submit Level II BOR paperwork to the President.
- The President will send the recommendation to the Board of Regents.
- Sample emeritus proposal
- For more information regarding emeriti procedures, please see:
Questions? Contact Hadley Jackson or (406) 243-2402.