To be eligible for emeritus status, a retired faculty member must have:
- been employed by the University of Montana for no less than ten years, and
- maintained a record of excellence in teaching, research/creativity, and service.
- Please note, emeritus status is an honor conferred upon a retiree. It is not associated with employee/retiree privileges. For more information about retirees' benefits and privileges, please see the Retirees' Association website.
To nominate a retired faculty member:
- The Department should prepare a proposal and submit it to their Dean. Please include a brief narrative with your nomination that describes the nominee's qualifications for emeritus status.
- The Dean will make a recommendation to the Provost.
- The Provost will then make a recommendation and submit Level II BOR paperwork to the President.
- The President will send the recommendation to the Board of Regents.
- The BOR accepts these nominations at the March, May, September, and November meetings but they must be received well in advance.
- Sample emeritus proposal
- For more information regarding emeriti procedures, please see:
Questions? Contact Jasmine Zink Laine (243-6135)