Health Insurance Requirement

UM Health Insurance

All students are required to have, and maintain, major medical insurance coverage while attending classes at the University of Montana. International students on non-immigrant visas (F-1 and J-1) are automatically charged the premium for the student health insurance plan as part of their tuition when they register for classes at UM.

In order to waive the premium, you MUST complete the REFUSE STUDENT INSURANCE FORM and attach proof of alternative medical insurance coverage that meets UM minimum requirements (see below). You should have a Certificate of Coverage, or something similar, that details the required information below on it. If you do not, you should be able to obtain one from your insurance carrier by contacting them directly.

Required Information for Certificate of Coverage:
  • MUST be a hard copy of document (not a screen shot of an email saying you have coverage)
  • MUST be in ENGLISH
  • MUST meet UM Health Insurance Requirements including deductible (listed below)
  • MUST contain:
    • Carrier information
    • Student’s Name
    • Coverage Details (What is covered/how much is covered)
    • Coverage Period Dates (You must be covered for the whole semester)

Spring: January 1 - May 31

Fall: August 1 - December 31

UM Health Insurance Requirements:
  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness 
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  • Expenses associated with medical evacuation to home country in the amount of $50,000
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness

This process must be done each fall and spring semester. If you do not provide proof of other coverage that meets the requirements stated BEFORE the 15th class day of the given semester, you will be charged for the student insurance.

For questions, or more information, please contact the Student Insurance Advocate at 406-243-2844 or



Alternative Health Insurance Providers for International Students

If you'd like to choose a health insurance policy that is not the UM Student Insurance, the following companies provide health insurance for international students studying in the United States.

Before selecting a plan, please do your research carefully, write down any questions you have, and talk with a representative from the company to ensure all of your questions are answered and so you know what the plan covers, what it does not cover, and that it satisfies the minimum requirements for UM.