International Scholars


In addition, many travel restrictions and embassy/consulate closures still remain in effect. Please check our COVID-19 International Travel Guidance for the most up to date information about acquiring a visa and traveling to the U.S.

The Department of State J-1 Exchange Visitor Program provides foreign nationals (including scholars and researchers) with opportunities to participate in educational and cultural programs in the U.S. and to return to their home country to share their experiences.  Currently, the University of Montana sponsors the following J-1 categories:

The role of the International Students & Scholars office is to assist you in navigating the J-1 visa process and to support you and your dependents throughout your time in the United States. Explore our website or contact us directly at for more information. 

Click Here for An Overview of the J Visa Process