Fall Move In

Welcome to the University of Montana! We are excited to have you join us in the Residence Halls this fall and want to provide additional information about move in.

When can I move in?

First Day of Housing

The first official day of fall housing is Saturday, August 25, 2018, and our Area Desks will open for check in at 9:00 am. If you plan to arrive later than Sunday, August 26, 2018, please contact the UM Housing Office so we can continue to hold your room for your arrival.

Early Arrival

Students wishing to arrive early may begin moving into their Residence Hall on Saturday, August 18, 2018, without having to make special arrangements. Students will be charged a daily rate of $23.00 per night for each night they are here prior to the first official housing day of August 25, 2018.

Where do I check in?

Area DesksStudents will check in at their Residence Hall's Area Desk. UM Housing has four Area Desks that serve our students throughout the academic year. 

The Area Desks will be open from 9:00 am-8:00 pm during move-in week. If a student arrives after the Area Desk is closed to check into their Residence Hall, they may call the on-call phone number posted on the front doors of the Residence Hall. A staff member will meet them at the Area Desk and check them into their Residence Hall room.

What is needed for check in?

Griz Card Summer Hours: M-F | 10am-4pm; Fall Hours: M-F | 8:30am-4:30pm; Special Hours: Monday, 20-Aug,8:30AM-4:30PM, Tuesday, 21-Aug, 8:30AM-4:30PM, Wednesday, 22-Aug, 8:30AM-6:00PM, Thursday, 23-Aug, 8:30AM-4:30PM, Friday, 24-Aug, 8:30AM-4:30PM, Saturday, 25-Aug, 10:00AM-4:00PM, Sunday, 26-Aug, 10:00AM-4:00PM Students will need to have their Griz Card or a picture ID to check in. Their Griz Card will provide access to the front door of their Residence Hall. 

If they do not have their Griz Card yet students should request an outdoor access card to use until they get their Griz Card. Outdoor access cards are meant to be temporary and should be returned within 7 days. 

If a student still needs to get their Griz Card, please visit the Griz Card Center website for information about their availability during move in.

Please note that only the student can check into their room. Parents can not check in or pick up keys for students.

Where can I park?

The UM Police Department oversees parking at the University of Montana. There will be additional short term parking locations available near the Residence Halls for move in. We encourage students to be mindful that move in is a busy time, and to not leave their vehicles in "quick stop" parking spaces for longer than the allowed time period.

Please note that reserved, accessible, quick stop, no overnight, and hourly parking spaces will be enforced during move in. Be aware of where you are parking to avoid a parking ticket.

What should I bring for my room?

All Residence Halls are equipped with standard twin-size beds, desks, dresser, closet, chairs, bookshelves, overhead light, network connection, and a wastebasket. Pantzer Hall suites' common living area also has a refrigerator, microwave, large storage closet, a furnished living room, and two bathrooms. Miller Hall pods also have a refrigerator, microwave, and a living room furnished with a two-seat sofa and sofa table. Miller Hall singles also have a refrigerator and microwave.

Students should bring:

  • Personal care items, toiletry basket, shower shoes
  • Standard twin-size sheets, blankets, pillow, mattress pad
  • Clothes, hangers
  • Bath towels
  • School supplies, such as notebook paper and pens
  • Desk study lamp
  • Alarm clock
  • Laundry basket or bag, laundry detergent

Optional items that many students bring, but are not needed include:

  • Television
  • Radio
  • Throw rugs
  • Pictures/posters
  • Camera
  • Bathrobe
  • Desk organizer
  • Small fan
  • Microwave
  • Refrigerator (under 4.0 cubic feet inside space)

What can't I bring for my room?

The following items are not allowed in the Residence Halls:
  • Electrical appliances for cooking are not allowed in any of the buildings. This includes electric burners, George Foreman Grills, toasters, toaster ovens, etc. Exceptions are made for hot air poppers, coffee pots, hot pots, and microwaves.
  • Anything with an open element
  • Candles and incense
  • Flammable liquids
  • Halogen lamps
  • Pets (other than fish in a tank 10 gallons or less)
  • Hoverboards, Swagways, IO Hawks, and Skywalkers

Renters Insurance

The UM Housing Office is not responsible for damage to or theft of personal property of residents living in the Residence Halls. Residents are strongly encouraged to obtain their own comprehensive renters insurance policy for theft and damage of personal property. This insurance is available through any insurance underwriter. Insurance for personal property while on campus may be available through parents' homeowners or renters insurance.

Griz Welcome

Griz WelcomeGriz Welcome is a series of events providing opportunities to become familiar with campus, get involved, meet other students, and have fun as Fall classes kick off. The Griz Welcome is our way of making incoming students feel comfortable and at home. During this time, students will participate in our fall orientation which includes information about class registration, residence halls, financial aid, and more. We will also be offering services to students like Move-in Crew that will help freshmen move into their new home away from home.  A variety of different activities are put on in order to welcome incoming students to campus as well as to their new community - beautiful Missoula, Montana. For more information please visit the Griz Welcome webpage

Receiving Mail

Students wishing to ship items to themselves may do so. We request that students ship their items to have the package arrival date be as close as possible to their move-in date so the student is able to pick up their package upon arrival. Storage for packages is limited within the Residence Halls. Please do not ship anything to arrive before Wednesday, August 15th, as the package may be returned to sender as mailing addresses are not in effect until this day.

A student's mailing address consists of their first and last name on the first line, their room number and hall on the second line, and Missoula, MT 59801 on the third line. Do not include "University of Montana" in the mailing address, including "University of Montana" will delay delivery. For example:

Monte Bear
123 Craig Hall
Missoula, MT 59801

Contact Us

If you have any additional questions regarding move in, please contact the UM Housing Office at (406) 243-2611. We are open Monday-Friday from 8:00 am-5:00 pm.