Trips and Classes

There are three convenient ways to register for an Outdoor Program trip or skill class:

  • In person: Visit the Outdoor Program desk, located on the east end of the Fitness & Recreation Center nect to Washington-Grizzly stadium.
  • Online: Visit the online portal, and find the list of outdoor programs under the "Register" tab. University community members should log in with their NetID and password, while general public is invited to create a new account.
  • By phone: You can always call us at 406-243-5172 for more information or to register for a program.

The answer to this question varies:

Skill classes are open to the general public. This includes all fundamentals classes, clinics, and certification courses. Trips are typically only open to UM students, employees and affiliates.

Most other presentations and events are open to the general public. Feel free to stop by or call the Outdoor Program at 406-243-5172 should you have any question about participation in our programs.

If the Outdoor Program initiates a cancellation, registrants receive a full refund including any deposits.

Generally, student employees lead trips and teach classes. They are all certified in Wilderness First Aid/Responder, and in most cases also certified in the specialty they are teaching. However, there may also be a Campus Recreation employee or UM faculty there to help lead or co-instruct.

Most trips and classes have a pre-trip meeting or the first class is indoors to ensure participants have all the information they need.

Equipment and Services

No! You are welcome to come stop in quick and top off the air in your bike tires.

Our workbench is designed for you to learn how to maintain your gear. For this reason, we offer "Assisted" maintenance for bikes and skis/boards. We will help you find and fix a problem on your bike, change out a flat tire, wax/tune your winter gear, etc., so you can learn how to do it on your own one day.

If you know what you need to do and just need a space to work on your gear, that is considered "Do-it-Yourself" time at the workbench. We do not provide any assistance in this case, but do provide you the tools needed for repair and maintenance.

Yes, reservations are especially popular in the busy summer season when rafts, paddleboards, kayaks and canoes are in demand. Winter can also be busy when cross-country skis and snowshoes are flying out the door.

Reservations can be made for any piece of equipment by calling 406-243-5172 or visiting the Outdoor Program.

Climbing Wall

Bouldering is available whenever the Fitness & Recreation Center is open. For Roped Climbing, please check our Climbing Wall page or call 243-2802 for hours.

Our Climbing Wall offers shoes, harnesses and belay gear for rent during roped climbing hours. Visit the Climbing Wall page for more information.

The Outdoor program offers beginning climbing classes, a Shes Theys and Gays climbing night, and belay clinics. Please check out our Climbing Wall page for dates and times.

During roped climbing hours, we have wall monitors on duty to help with safety and answering general questions.

The indoor wall is open for bouldering whenever the Fitness & Recreation Center is open. During roped climbing hours (which are limited), climbers are required to be roped and belayed by a partner.