Course substitution assistance

The University of Montana will not reduce academic standards. When the student petitions for a course substitution, the Office for Disability Equity (ODE) will verify the functional limitations of the disability and rate the severity of the need for the substitution. Petitions for substitution are considered on the merits of individual circumstances. The Graduation Appeals Committee and other academic authorities grant such substitutions, not ODE, since such petitions are strictly academic questions.

Graduation Appeals Form (PDF) from Registrar's Office

Steps for students seeking a course substitution:

  • Discuss your interest in petitioning for a course substitution with your coordinator in your early academic career.
  • Contact the Office of the Registrar at or (406) 243-2421 with questions.
  • Work with your academic advisor to come up with a potential course (or courses) as a substitution to fulfill the requirements.
  • Request a letter from your coordinator, which verifies the functional limitations and severity of the need for the substitution.
  • Compose your graduation appeal and have your appeal form signed by your academic advisor, departmental chair, and dean.
  • Submit the petition packets to the Office of the Registrar by email at

For questions regarding graduation appeals, contact the Office of the Registrar at (406) 243-2421 or (406) 243-2422.