Marketing and Communications Coordinator intern
The purpose of the Marketing and Communications Coordinator internship is to develop a successful recruiting strategy via the UM Education Abroad website and social media platforms to actively engage and recruit UM Education Abroad students and increase student awareness of study abroad on the UM campus, in general. The successful applicant will ensure that relevant information and images are regularly updated on the University of Montana Education Abroad website, as well as on our official UM Education Abroad Instagram and Facebook accounts.
This position focuses on developing and maintaining online marketing materials, implementing those materials in a way that is consistent with current online marketing strategies and best practices, and maintaining current images and information in order to promote UM Education Abroad programs via all media platforms. The goal is to deliver a smooth and enjoyable overall user experience for the UM community while successfully promoting education abroad and delivering current information. This position provides the opportunity to enhance individual skills in online marketing, website design and social media management, as well as developing strong interpersonal communication, marketing, organizational, technical and writing skills. The successful applicant will work with Education Abroad staff to develop a recruitment strategy based on current web and social media marketing trends.
Essential Job Functions
- Fostering a new recruitment strategy for UM Education Abroad using social media
- Developing, managing, and updating UM Education Abroad website and social media accounts (Facebook and Instagram).
- Updating website with current information and appealing photos for prospective and current education abroad students and faculty.
- Reviewing previous materials, updating promotional materials, advertising and promoting education abroad events via social media, creating and managing social media competitions and events, writing to students to announce photo competition, receiving and properly storing photos/videos that are entered, organizing judges, organizing photos/videos for display, etc.
- Nurturing close contact with UM students abroad, as well as international exchange students who are currently studying in Missoula, to increase the amount and quality of marketing materials (collecting new photos, organizing and archiving them)
- Assisting with outreach activities to increase participation in education abroad, including outreach to underrepresented groups
- Creating and maintaining Education Abroad social media postings/photos as well as brainstorming ways to actively involve your audience in creative and interesting ways
- Discovering other electronic means to promote study abroad
- Preparing physical materials, like flyers and posters, for on-campus marketing of study abroad
- Attending occasional on-campus events to promote Education Abroad
- Working on other projects, as assigned
- Develop skills in an international and professional work environment
- Enhance leadership, teamwork, and communication skills
- Use knowledge of international matters and cross-cultural communication acquired from your own study abroad experience
- Have the opportunity to work with individuals around campus, including faculty, staff, and students
- Experience an exciting, challenging, and rewarding job in a fast-paced, cross-cultural setting
- Develop expertise in website and social media management
- Gain concrete experience to put on your resume
- Become proficient in UM's web editing application, Cascade
- May earn UM credits
Candidates for this position must meet the following:
- Be a UM student currently enrolled in an undergraduate/graduate degree program at University of Montana, and be in good academic and judicial standing
- Be available to work at least 10-12 hours a week. There may be occasional evening and/or weekend hours
- Enthusiastically and accurately promote the concept of education abroad to UM students, faculty, and staff
- Have a high level of written and oral communication skills
- Be detail-oriented, highly organized, and resourceful
- Be technically proficient with computers or have a strong desire/willingness to learn
- Be willing to attend a free UM short course on Cascade
- Be creative, organized, and able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Have the ability to follow UM brand guidelines, social media guidelines, and accessibility guidelines
Additional Desirable Attributes and Background
- Desire to work with students who express interest in overseas study and enthusiasm for education abroad and its value
- Experience with other cultures and intercultural situations, including studying, living, and/or traveling abroad, learning another language, work abroad (paid or volunteer), etc.
- Patience for helping students clarify their own needs, best interests, capacities, and resources in order to make informed choices and decisions about available study abroad opportunities
For full consideration, complete the application via Handshake for the Education Abroad Communication and Marketing Coordinator internship. Please include a resume and cover letter of no more than 500 words.
Preference in hiring will be given to students who are able to commit to the position for the entire term. All new hires must complete the mandatory training program. All positions will be open until filled.
Please email GoAbroad@mso.umt.edu if you have any questions, using the e-mail subject line "EA Marketing and Communications Coordinator Internship Application".