Master of Public Administration (MPA)
Mission Statement & Public Service Values
To provide an innovative public service education for pre-career and in-career public and nonprofit administration students with an emphasis on cultural awareness, collaboration, and applied learning experiences.
To become the premiere life-long learning experience in the Rocky Mountain West for public service professionals.
Public Service Values
Our public service values serve as guideposts that inform how we apply our MPA mission to inform decisionmaking.
- Equity: We believe our commitment to cultural awareness across curriculum and scholarship challenges us to reflect and rethink accepted forms of oppression often found in considerations of efficiency and effectiveness.
- Serving the Public Interest: Senator Baucus firmly believes “public service is the highest calling.” We believe training current and future generations about the importance of serving the public ethically is essential to serving the public interest.
- Fairness: One out of three Montanans live more than 60 miles from a college or university. We believe fairness requires public education offers course delivery that is flexible, accessible, and affordable.
- Integrity: We believe collegiality in the workplace, classroom, and society is essential to a functioning civil society and is driven by decency and respect.
- Accountability & Transparency: We believe individuals and institutions should be responsive and accountable to the public for their decisions.
The MPA program maintains a membership with NASPAA (Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration), which is the global standard in public service education. It is the membership organization of graduate education programs in public policy, public affairs, public administration, and public & nonprofit management. Its nearly 300 members - located across the U.S. and in 14 countries around the globe - award MPA, MPP, MPAff, and similar degrees.