Applying for Graduate Admission

Choose a Graduate Program & Degree

Begin by exploring the  Graduate School's Programs page to choose a program of study from over 32 Doctoral degrees, 71 Master's degrees, and 11 online certificates. Requirements and deadlines are specific to each program.

Browse UM's Graduate Programs 

The Graduate School offers the following types of graduate admission:

Graduate Degree

Graduate degree admission is for candidates seeking to complete a Certificate, Masters or Doctoral program at UM.
Graduate Degree Information

Graduate Nondegree

Graduate nondegree admission is a graduate status allowing students to receive graduate credit for course work but who have not been formally admitted to a graduate degree program.
Graduate Nondegree Information


Post-baccalaureate admission is an undergraduate status held most often by students working on certification programs or a second bachelor's degree.
Post-Bacc Information


To be granted full admission, applicants must hold the equivalent of a U.S. baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
International Student Information


Students who are seeking readmission to graduate programs after an approved leave of absence or who did not maintain continuous registration.
Readmission Information

Visiting Grad Students

Visiting graduate student status is offered for one year to students admitted to graduate study elsewhere but are visiting our area and wish to use our facilities for research and/or recreational purposes.
Visiting Grad Student Information

Complete Graduate Application

After choosing a program of study, the next step toward joining the University of Montana is to submit your Graduate School application. When completing the application process, applicants should begin to prepare application materials, including letters of recommendation, official transcripts, and test scores. Application materials are specific to each program. Step-by-step instructions can found by clicking the link below.

Applying for Admission | Online Application

Funding Graduate School

The UM Graduate school offers various forms of funding, including graduate assistantships, scholarships and fellowships, and student loan support.

Make sure to fill out your FAFSA form.

Browse Tuition and Funding

In-State Residency Qualifications

The University of Montana classifies students, including applicants for admission, as either in-state or out-of-state for fee purposes.

Determine if you qualify for in-state tuition

Deferred Admission

The Graduate School may defer admission for one term or one year on the recommendation of the department. The Graduate School will not defer admission for more than one year; the student is required to reapply to the program.

Deferred Admission Procedure

Notice of Availability of UM’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report

The University of Montana is committed to assisting all members of the University community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available on the University of Montana Police Department website.


The reports contain information regarding campus security and personal safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, fire safety, University police law enforcement authority, crime reporting policies, policies related to and programs to prevent sexual assault and other crimes, disciplinary procedures and other matters of importance related to security and safety on campus.

If you would like to receive a hard copy of the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, which contains this information, you can visit the UM Police Department at Building #32 on Campus Drive or you can request that a copy be mailed to you by calling the UMPD non-emergency line at 406-243-6131.