CEHS Admission Requirements and Application Information
When you apply online, please be sure to select the following items to start your Certificate in Environmental Health Sciences (CEHS) application:
Enrollment Status: Degree Seeking
Major: Public Health - Environmental Health Sciences (CEHS)
Degree: Post Baccalaureate certificate
Though we do not have posted minimum standards, we do want to see that you have the skills required to succeed in our professional academic programs. In an effort to evaluate your application, the following materials are needed in your CEHS application to the School of Public and Community Health Sciences.
Application Packet Checklist
- Completed online application form
- Three letters of recommendations
- Personal statement
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (Note: all international students - non-U.S. university transcripts need to be first professionally evaluated before being submitted. Options include the World Education Services site and the Educational Credential Evaluators site.)
- Official TOEFL, IELTS, or MELAB scores (Note: for international students only)
Requirements for Admission into the Certificate in Environmental Health Sciences Program:
- Baccalaureate degree
- Completed application packet
- Note that the GRE is not required
Important: CEHS applicants may not transfer in any credits and apply them toward their program. Students must be admitted to the CEHS program before taking any courses.
The personal statement is an important part of the application as it helps the Admissions Committee learn about an applicant's interest in public health. The personal statement also provides a writing sample, so applicants should compose their statements thoughtfully and edit them carefully. The entire personal statement should not exceed two single space typed pages. Please address each of the following questions or issues below with a brief paragraph.
- Why do you want to pursue graduate studies in public health?
- What are your short-term and long-term career objectives?
- Briefly describe the education, life/work experiences and personal characteristics that will enable you to be successful in the program and your chosen career.
- Describe any significant extracurricular or community service activities.
- Please comment on anything else you think would strengthen your application.
Curriculum Vitae or Resume
All applicants are asked to submit updated curriculum vitae or resume. Applicants who have existing graduate degrees may wish to include a list of publications and/or presentations at professional meetings.
All applicants are asked to enter universities/colleges/schools attended into the appropriate section in the online application, to ensure all required transcript can be checked as received.
The Admissions Committee typically meets twice a year to consider new applications, and it is highly recommended that prospective students submit their completed applications by the admission deadlines:
Fall, Spring & Summer Semesters - Please submit your completed application at least four (4) weeks prior to the start of that semester's classes.
There is no guarantee that submissions after the above stated date(s) will be reviewed in time for admission for the following semester. Should you wish to submit your application beyond the recommended dates, please contact the departmental office at (406) 243-2571 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click the "Start Your Application" button below to begin.
Application Instructions (CEHS to MPH)
Students who are admitted into the CEHS program who then decide to pursue the MPH must apply for admission to the MPH program.
CEHS Program Application Checklist(If you are currently enrolled in a graduate program at the University of Montana)
You may either complete the requirements listed above for those students not already enrolled in a graduate program, or you may complete just the items below.
- completed application
- letter of support from current supervisor
- personal statement
Then, send in a sealed envelope from current program:
- copies of three recommendations from current master's or doctorate program
- unofficial copies of all transcripts
International students are encouraged to apply for the CEHS program. The CEHS program can be completed entirely online from the student’s home country. For more information about online programs at the University of Montana, please refer to the UMOnline website. This online program does not meet the federal requirements for an F student visa, which requires the majority of credits to be in person.