Education Benefits

Apply for your Veteran Education Benefits and have your benefits certified for payment of college costs at the UM Bitterroot. To ensure that your veterans education benefits disburse in time for the first week of college classes, start this process at least eight weeks prior to the start of the college semester. If you need assistance with the VONAPP, contact the UM VETS Office at (406) 243-4744 or

  1. Fill out the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) to apply for veterans education benefits
  2. Follow the process to apply for admission to the UM Bitterroot
  3. Receive your education benefits eligibility letter in the mail (takes about 2 weeks from VONAPP submission date)
  4. Receive your college acceptance letter in the mail (takes about 2 weeks from college application submission date)
  5. Meet with UM Bitterroot Academic Advisor Terry Berkhouse to register for college courses
    1. Contact Terry Berkhouse at 406-375-0100 or to schedule an advising appointment
    2. Bring your education benefits eligibility letter and your college acceptance letter to your advising appointment
    3. At advising appointment, receive printout of college schedule and college bill
  6. Submit your Notification of Intent to Use GI Bill Benefits (use NetID and Password to login to record system)

Veterans Upward Bound

Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) is a U.S. Department of Education program which provides funding and programming to help eligible U.S. military veterans gain and refresh essential skills so that they can successfully compete for jobs, start college, or simply improve their lives. 

For more information go to Montana's Veterans Upward Bound program and check out it's online offerings.

Additional Resources

Valley Veterans Service Center
217 N 3rd Street, Suite L, Hamilton, MT 59840
Mike Warner, (406) 363-9838

UM VETS Office
UM Campus, 1000 East Beckwith, Missoula, MT 59801, (406) 243-2744

US Department of Veterans Affairs