UM Housing will complete an audit at the beginning of each semester, the audit usually takes 1-2 weeks to complete. If you do not have a roommate once the audit is complete, you will be sent a 3 Options Letter. The same will happen if your roommate moves out mid-semester. This letter will give you 3 options to choose from to see how you would like to proceed with the empty space in your room. This letter is time sensitive and you will have 3 days to submit your response before you are defaulted. If you do not submit a response before the time and date noted on your Options Letter, you will be defaulted into Option 2 | New Roommate for Spring.
Please note, UM Housing has adjusted our operations due to COVID-19 mitigation efforts. The options given for Fall 2020 have been adjusted accordingly. Please be aware that future Options Letters may not have the same options given during Fall 2020.
Fall 2020 Options:
Option 1 | Double as a Single for the Whole Year:
- This option allows the student to select to keep their current room a double as a single for the entire academic year.
- There is an additional cost to selecting this option. The letter will state an approximate amount for the additional charge for the current semester. When selecting this option you will be charged the full double as a single amount for spring semester with your registration bill. You can review the different types of room charges on our Residence Halls Rate page.
- The additional rate will go into effect on the day the semester audit was completed or the day your roommate moved out.
- All furniture must remain in the room. UM Housing will not remove any of the extra furniture. You may request to loft or bunk the beds to get some more space in the room; however, it is a $50 charge to have a bed height adjusted. You will need to request a bed height adjustment by submitting a work order request in your myHousingPortal.
Option 2 | New Roommate for Spring
- Due to mitigation efforts for COVID-19, UM does not anticipate moving a new roommate into your room for fall semester; however, UM Housing reserves the right to move a roommate in at any point if you select this option.
- If you choose this option and a new roommate is assigned, you will be notified and will be given 24 hours to clean your room.
- If you choose this option you may be assigned a new roommate for spring semester. The new roommate would be assigned during winter break after you have left for the semester. Therefore, you will be required to have one side of the room in “ready room” condition when you leave for winter break. UM Housing staff conducts an inspection of all rooms during winter break, and if your room is found not to be in “ready room” condition for a new roommate to move in, you would be defaulted into a double as a single for spring semester and be charged the additional amount for spring semester.
- "Ready Room" definition: all belongings of a resident are on their side of the room leaving the other side of the room clean and clear for the other roommate to check in at any time during winter break. All of the remaining resident's belongings must remain on their side of the room in order for UM Housing maintenance staff to clean the vacant side of the room and assess for damages.
Option 3 | Find a Roommate Myself
- If you know someone who you would like to move into your room, you can select this option. All roommate moves must be approved by UM Housing prior to moving. Moves without prior approval from UM Housing may result in community standards (disciplinary) process for both the resident that moved and the resident that allowed the other to move into the room.
- When you select this option when submitting your response online you will be prompted to enter the full name, student ID number, and the room that the two of you will live in (in the event you both have an empty space and received Options Letters).
- Once UM Housing has reviewed the request, you will both be notified of the decision.
- If the move is approved the person moving must complete the Room Change Agreement in their myHousingPortal before they can begin their move. Temp cards to move will not be issued until the agreement is signed.
- Please note, due to COVID-19 mitigation efforts, some roommate requests may not be approved if your floor has reached maximum reduced capacity.
- If your roommate request is not approved and you and your roommate would still like to move to a room together if floor capacity changes, both you and your requested roommate will need to sign up on the Room Change Waitlist. That way, if space allows, each of you would be sent a room change offer.