Information Technology provides leadership in identifying and delivering IT infrastructure, services and support for The University of Montana-Missoula, the four campuses of the multi-campus University of Montana, and the Montana University System.
UM IT provides computing, network, and telecommunications infrastructure, supports enterprise level software, and offers a range of technology support services for the Missoula campus. The organization also coordinates with the other Montana University System campuses, the local community, and the State of Montana to ensure consistency of offerings and policy. IT at the University of Montana is led by a Chief Information Officer (CIO), who reports to UM's President and sits on the President's cabinet and council of vice presidents.
UM IT is organized into four major units of service delivery:
Enterprise Information Systems, responsible for database administration and Banner deployment, including student, finance and Human Resource modules.
Cyberinfrastructure, responsible for IT facilities, servers, classroom technology, central authentication, directory and email services, campus network infrastructure, telephone system and UM's network connectivity across Montana.
- Client Experience, responsible for a variety of client support services including contracted support services, UM IT Helpdesk, web application development, web content support services, software licensing, classroom technology support and computer lab management.
- Information Security, responsible for security policies and procedures, security awareness training, security incident response, identity management, and coordinating risk assessments with UM and MUS colleagues.
IT shares technology support services with several distributed IT organizations, including:
- UM School for Extended and Lifelong Learning (SELL) which runs UM Online
- The Mansfield Library, which offers support to students and other users of their spaces around electronic resources and public labs.
- Academic unit IT groups that provide a variety of administrative, academic and research-related IT support.