About the Project Management Office
The mission of the IT project management office is to provide a campus-wide approach to identify, prioritize, and successfully execute a portfolio of technology initiatives and projects that are aligned with the UM 2020 strategic goals and educational vision. The PMO’s primary responsibility is to manage and control project constraints by ensuring project plans are implemented on schedule, within scope, and budget. Project management leadership is responsible for establishing and implementing best practices for the benefit of the University in a way that encourages collaboration, standardization, and overall improvement in our educational community.
- Be an active partner for student success by strategically managing UM IT’s project portfolio towards the goals of UM 2020.
- Support faculty, staff, and students at UM as a source for project management leadership and expertise.
- Promote best practice standards, quality, and methodologies into a project management discipline.
- Develop a dual methodology standard, one based on the Project Management Institute’s best practices and one based on Agile best practices. To be developed with our strategic partners across campus.
- Provide a conduit of communication for project status, financial health, and the mitigation of issues, risk, and dependencies across projects, departments and sectors.
- Increase project management maturity at the organizational level.
PMO projects meet the following criteria:
- More than one IT unit involved
- Risk and Importance factors (At the discretion of the CIO and or executive management)
- Project cost exceeds $25,000