At the Blewett School of Law you will thrive in an environment that integrates theory with practical experience. Learn to draft contracts, create corporations, counsel clients, negotiate transactions, prepare and probate wills, try a case before a jury and argue an appeal, graduating ready to practice the law.
In the third year, you will gain experience in faculty-supervised clinics representing real clients with actual legal problems in areas such as criminal law, environmental and natural resource law, American Indian law, bankruptcy law, family law and judicial practice. The clinic experience gives you the opportunity to pull together skills acquired in the first two years of law school and apply it.
In 2020, we had a 92% Montana bar passage rate among our graduates taking it for the first time. In addition, we are ranked 7th in the nation for clerkship placements after graduation according to National Jurist's preLaw Magazine.
Upgrade Your Summer
Outside the Classroom
Over 20 student organizations ensure an opportunity for everyone to participate in activities including law reviews, competition teams, student government or public service groups.
Your education is uniquely shaped by our special place in the world. Missoula, Montana, is a truly remarkable and distinctive place in which to live and learn. The natural setting provides an extended classroom, and it beckons you to step outside and explore. The natural bigness of land and sky create space for you to discover more about yourself and how you want to make an impact in the world.
A place like no other, the areas in and around Missoula offer opportunities to find balance between legal education and life outside the law school. From rock climbing and hang gliding to hiking and camping, there's something for everyone. Here are a few highlights:
- Ride your bike to class on the Kim Williams Nature Trail, which runs along the Clark Fork River and connects the University to downtown and several city parks.
- Flyfish, river surf. raft, kayak, standup paddleboard, practice SUP yoga and float on area rivers.
- Hike, play disc golf, mountain bike, cross-country ski and more on trails in and around Missoula.
- With the major trailhead just four miles north of Missoula, hit the Rattlesnake National Recreation Area and Wilderness for hiking, biking, trail running and more.
- Alpine ski and snowboard at Montana Snowbowl, located 12 miles northwest of Missoula.
- All students have Campus Recreation memberships, including access to the 80,362-square-foot Fitness and Recreation Center, Grizzly Pool, Intramural Sports and Outdoor Program.