Affiliate and Griz Visitors

The University of Montana has a process by which people working or studying at the University in an unofficial but closely associated manner may obtain access to a variety of University resources. The level of access to these resources is controlled through the approval process in the appropriate office as described below.

Griz Visitor is associated with the University of Montana through some contractual, collaborative, or familial relationship that requires the use of a Griz Card, generally to access the Campus Recreation Center.

An Affiliate is associated with the University of Montana through a contractual or collaborative relationship that requires the use of a Griz Card and a NetID for online resources.

Griz Visitors

The Office of the Registrar approves and processes Griz Visitor Applications for student dependents and spouses/partners.

To submit a request, the UM student sponsor must submit a Griz Visitor Application on behalf of their dependent or spouse/partner. The sponsor will receive a confirmation email upon submission of the form along with a follow-up email once their submission has been approved. 

Questions? Email

Human Resources approves and processes employee dependent/spouse Griz Visitors.

Application form: Dependent Affiliates & Griz Visitors 

Questions? Human Resources Services, 406-243-6766 


Student affiliates are associated with the University but not currently registered. Examples include short term international students, visiting student groups, and students completing course work.

To submit a request for a student affiliate, the sponsoring department, advisor, or program leader should submit a Student Affiliate Request at least 7 to 10 business days in advance of when the affiliates are needed. The following information will be required to complete this form:

  • Student affiliate's full legal name
  • Student affiliate's date of birth
  • Student affiliate's SSN (if possible)
  • Duration of affiliate status (start and end date)
  • Name of sponsoring faculty/staff member and contact information.

International students must contact the International Students and Scholars Office at (406) 243-2288. 

Please allow up to 7 business days for processing.

Faculty Affiliates are associated with an academic department or organization of the University for the purposes of research or academic oversight. Examples include serving on a graduate committee, preceptor for nursing student, or mentoring students.

The Office of the Provost approves and processes faculty affiliates. For more information, please visit the Faculty Affiliate site.  

Campus Affiliates are associated with an external organization that works closely with the University. Examples include an employee at the UM Foundation, UM Bookstore, UM Dining or University Center Vendor, or an employee of 5-year term maintenance agreement with the University.

The Office of the Provost accepts and processes Campus Affiliates. For more information, please visit the Campus Affiliate site

Alumni Griz Visitors must be annual dues-paying or lifetime members of the University of Montana Alumni Association and must have completed the minimum academic requirements to qualify as a UM alumnus/a.

Please contact the Office of Alumni Relations and Alumni Association by email at or call (406) 243-5211.

What's Next?

Once the Affiliate or Griz Visitor has completed the approval process and is entered in the University system with a University ID the person can obtain a Griz Card at the Griz Card Center in the University Center.

Campus Recreation membership includes access to the Fitness & Recreation Center, Grizzly Pool, Intramural Sports, Outdoor Programs (trips, classes and equipment rental), fitness classes, personal training and rock-climbing wall. More on how to join may be found on the Campus Recreation website.

24 hours after the affiliate has completed the approval process and is entered in the University system with a University ID the person can utilize online services which include: 

  • Remote library resources
  • UM Online Moodle
  • CyberBear
  • IT computer labs
  • VPN
  • Wireless

To access these services the NetID should be used for authentication purposes. More information on NetIDs and the associated password

All affiliates can go to CyberBear and set their UMontana alias to point to an email account of their choice in order to receive emergency emails. They can also enter a cell phone number to receive emergency text messages. Affiliates do not have a UMontana email.

To add your email and/or phone number, log onto CyberBear with your new NetID and select "Personal Information."