Application Deadlines

Spring semester: January 11, 2024

Summer semester (10-week and 1st 5-week session): May 13, 2024

Summer semester (2nd 5-week session): June 17, 2024

Fall semester: August 19, 2024

Freshman Admission

Apply as a freshman if you are a first-time, degree seeking college student currently enrolled in high school, or concurrently enrolled in high school and a college (Running Start or Dual Enrollment program), or you have graduated from high school but have not attempted 12 or more college-level credits after completing high school or its equivalency.

Freshman Admission is a Three-Step Process


To apply online or print a paper application, click an application link above and choose the term you would like to start. You can also apply to UM using the Common Application.


ACT/SAT test scores are not required for admission to the University of Montana.


Send/upload an unofficial transcript when you apply. Send UM your official high school transcript upon graduation. The transcript must include your date of graduation and final GPA. The HiSET and GED are also acceptable.

Other Types of Admission


Apply as a transfer student if you have attempted 12 or more credits at another college or university. Transfer students may also apply to UM using the Common Application.


Apply as an international student if you are coming from outside the U.S., or you are living in the U.S. under an F, B, H, J, L, or M Visa.

Missoula College or UM Bitterroot

Apply to Missoula College if you are interested in one- and two-year programs.

Apply to UM Bitterroot if you are interested in taking classes in Hamilton. 


Learn more about applying for graduate programs, or applying for professional programs in Law, Pharmacy, or Physical Therapy.

Returning Student

Apply as a returning student if you previously attended UM and interrupted your enrollment for more than 24 months.


Post baccalaureate You have earned a degree and want to pursue another undergraduate degree

Home school


UM Online


Senior citizen Golden College Program

MOLLI extended and lifelong learning

After you're accepted

Next steps
| Housing options | Orientation

Advanced Options: Earn Credit Toward College Graduation

The University of Montana recognizes alternative means to earn academic credits that can be applied to a college degree in several academic programs. Students should contact the UM Admissions Office for more information. Advanced Options to earn college credits include (but are not limited) to the following:

Advanced Placement (AP)
International Baccalaureate (IB)
College Level Examination Program CLEP
Global Assessment Certificate (GAC)
Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)
Dual Enrollment (DE)
Project Lead the Way (PLTW)

Statement on Admissions Policies Regarding Peaceful Protest Penalties

The University of Montana has decided to join a growing list of colleges offering amnesty through the National Association of College Admissions Counselors (NACAC).  The purpose of joining this group of institutions is to demonstrate that we at UM stand with students impelled to use their voices in meaningful and peaceful ways. We ensure that disciplinary action associated with participation in such demonstrations will not negatively impact a student’s current or future admissions decision.

Kelly Nolin, Director of Undergraduate Admissions

Clery Act

The University of Montana is committed to assisting all members of the University community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available on the University of Montana Police Department website.

The reports contain information regarding campus security and personal safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, fire safety, University police law enforcement authority, crime reporting policies, policies related to and programs to prevent sexual assault and other crimes, disciplinary procedures and other matters of importance related to security and safety on campus.

If you would like to receive a hard copy of the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, which contains this information, you can visit the UM Police Department at Building #32 on Campus Drive or you can request that a copy be mailed to you by calling the UMPD non-emergency line at 406-243-6131.