Next Steps for Freshmen

Congratulations on your acceptance to the University of Montana. Please take these next steps before enrolling as a freshman at UM.

Celebrate! Feel free to share how you celebrate that you are now part of Griz Nation by including us in your celebration through #Grizbound

All first-year students attending University of Montana or Missoula College are required to complete Bear Tracks. This is an admitted student checklist that guides you through next steps.

Log into the Bear Tracks portal using the admitted student’s personal email address. This email address will be the one that our emails go to.

As a new first-year student you are also required to complete your self-paced, online New Student Orientation. In addition to completing New Student Orientation online, all traditional-aged first-year students are expected to attend our in-person week of welcome - the Big Sky Experience! You will connect with your peers, get to know the campus and Missoula and learn how to succeed as a student at UM.

Learn more and check out the schedule for the 2023 Big Sky Experience!

Students beginning in the spring term will simply complete the self-paced, online New Student Orientation. 

Course Registration

Course registration for first-year students depends on which term you start. Please refer to your Bear Tracks Registration Checklist for more information.

Log in to Bear Tracks to find your Net ID and Student ID (this link uses the same username and password as your application)

Your Net ID: Your initial password will be the last six digits of your student ID number (which begins with 790) and it is included on your acceptance letter and viewable on Bear Tracks.

Log in to UMConnect, your student email account, and check it regularly. UMConnect serves as the official means of communication between students and the University of Montana. This includes everything from information about registration, tuition and fee notification, and urgent announcements. This is an important step, as we will send you multiple important emails throughout the pre-orientation process.

To log into your UMConnect account, you will need your NetID.

*Distance-only students excluded

As you prepare to attend UM, we want to make you aware of the state of Montana immunization requirements:

  • 2 MMR vaccines, OR
  • 2 doses rubeola and rubella or IgG titers for both rubeola and rubella.

You must submit verifiable documentation of your immunizations. You can submit immunization information online. Please submit these documents as soon as possible to ensure a smooth transition to UM. For more information please contact Curry Health Center or call (406) 243-2122.

Refuse or Buy Health Insurance

The University of Montana requires all students (registered for 6 or more state supported on campus credits) to have and to maintain medical coverage while attending the University. If you are not covered under an existing private insurance plan that covers you while you are in school. UM offers an optional insurance plan through Blue Cross Blue Shield, and has resources for other coverage options as well.   *NOTE-Your home state medical assistance is not a private plan.

Please, log into your Cyberbear account to make your insurance selection. When making your selection, please be sure to read the screens completely. There is a specific state requirement if you are receiving Montana Medicaid/HELP/Healthy Montana Kids PLUS. Failure to comply with the requirement could result in the loss of your state medical coverage.

For more information, contact the Student Insurance Advocate at 406-243-2844,, or visit the insurance section of the Curry Health Center web page.

Note: Living on campus is required for all incoming Freshman as we believe it is integral to your success at UM. If you would like to request to live off campus you may submit a residency release form.

Students taking classes fully online are not required to live on campus. This is the case for you if you are a distance-only student.

*Distance-only students excluded

UM Housing provides positive, safe, and inclusive living environments which are an important part of your experience at the University of Montana.

  • Housing information was mailed to you in your acceptance packet.
  • Housing is assigned first come-first serve. You may receive a $100 refund until 5 p.m. on March 1 should you decide not to enroll at UM.  Refunds are not available after this date.
  • To check your room assignment once assignments have been made please log back into the myHousingPortal.
  • We provide housing options for students with spouses and/or dependents. For more information, visit the University Villages web page, or call (406) 243-6030.
  • For more information, visit UM Housing or call (406) 243-2611.

To be considered for the maximum amount of aid, please submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by DEC. 1. If that is not possible, please submit your FAFSA as soon as possible as aid is awarded on a first come first serve basis. Our FAFSA code is 002536.

  • As soon as possible after Oct. 1st, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Financial Aid hosts a Net Price Calculator that allows you to enter information about yourself and your family and obtain an estimate of your financial aid offer and incoming merit based scholarships.

Congratulations! You already applied for incoming merit based scholarships when you applied for admission. You can expect to hear back about your scholarship award in the next few weeks, if you haven’t heard already. To see what you qualified for prior to receiving your award letter, visit our scholarships page.

June 30 is the Merit Scholarship Award deadline. 

If you want to be considered for a departmental scholarship, please complete the General Application in the UM Scholarship Portal. Application deadlines vary by department and/or opportunity.

Due to extenuating circumstances surrounding COVID-19 and by special exemption from the Montana Board of Regents, ACT/SAT test scores will not be required for admission to the University of Montana however they are strongly encouraged for scholarship opportunities.

If you have taken AP, IB, or CLEP exams, ensure that you have requested that those scores be sent to the Undergraduate Admissions Office so we can award you college credit. For more information about how advance credits transfer.

The Davidson Honors College provides outstanding undergraduate students with extraordinary educational and cultural opportunities. Honors College students enroll in challenging courses and participate in special experiences outside the classroom that enhance the regular offerings and activities of the University. The Honors College is open to students in any academic major, and offers the intensive learning environment of a small liberal arts and sciences college within a larger research university.

To learn more visit the Davidson Honors College.

The University of Montana offers many opportunities for student employment. Handshake, University of Montana's student employment website is designed to allow you to search and apply online for part-time on and off-campus, work-study, non-work-study and volunteer positions.

Experiential Learning and Career Success provides students with comprehensive services and coordination of the internship process.

You can meet with a Career Counselor to discuss your major and career options, resumes, job search, interviewing, etc. Together you can decide what next steps are best for you.

  • Notify your high school of your acceptance to University of Montana as you will need an official High School Transcript with graduation date posted sent to the Undergraduate Admissions Office after you graduate.
  • If you are currently taking college level credits through an institution of higher education, notify them that you have been accepted to University of Montana and will need to have an official college transcript be sent in after you have completed your coursework.

Transcript should be mailed to:

Undergraduate Admissions Office
University of Montana
Gilkey Building
950 Arthur Avenue
Missoula, MT 59812